Question Upgrading Gaming PC For Christmas! Please Help

yassir560

Reputable
Jul 1, 2016
I have a decent amount of funds as of now and I'm thinking of buying a bunch of new things, the options being what they are it's tough to decide at the moment, so I thought I could get some recommendations from here. This community has always stood out as being well knowledgeable in all things pc, anyways here goes the problems,but before here are my current specs;

CPU:i5 6500 3.2 Ghz
GPU:Gtx 1060 6GB
RAM:16 GB DDR4 (8 * 2)
MOBO: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Gaming B7 (Supports 6-7Th gen intel processors)
Display/s: some generic Samsung 1080p 60Hz monitor. had an ultrawide but my desk broke and so it went :(

oh and an old repurposed 2008 Gigabyte Aurora Case that me and my dad spray painted black, oh and the front is almost falling off so we had to tie it together..

Also: The prices may be elevated but they are the absolute best I can find for where I live (which I'm not disclosing), as depressingly high as it might be.
Also 2: I'm trying to max out my performance from this. I want an upgrade that'll make the most in terms of better performance, or future better performance.

Stuff I play ( might make choices much easier):

Currently:
  • Assetto Corsa (lots of graphically intensive visual mods and tracks and all that included, recently got into it)
  • Minecraft (again, alot of mods, and I mean alot. my game barely runs at 30-60 fps with my current rig, and that's with a fairly low render distance, would be incredibly pleased to improve my fps on this)
  • GTA V (mostly online, I'm happy with my performance on it, but would love to see how the game looks with redux mods on sp, as u can tell from the last 3 brackets, I'm big into modding)
  • Alot of party games when my friends come around, often enough for me to consider it here: Gang Beast, Serious Sam 3 BFE, Pummel Party, Rocket League, Blur and we cycle between fighting games (last one was dead or alive 6, because we're children..) and more
  • Teardown (haven't touched it in a while to be fair)
  • CS:GO (not as much anymore but boy do I love dying to a beyblade)
  • XCOM (used to spend the entire day playing it but I've calmed down this week, but I think it'll resurge eventually, honestly the late game gets boring but this isn't a game review now is it)
Eventually:
  • AC Origins and Odyssey (not sure yet, I played through odyssey a little and got bored and had to delete it, but I might come back to it one day. Origin looks kind of meh in comparison)
  • Metro Exodus (again played before but gave up on it, probably gonna come back to it)
  • Watch Dogs Legion
  • Rainbow Six Siege (oh the days of being a pulse main and acing in barlett, one day I'll be back if only the game wasn't 200 Gbs istg)
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (praying for an optimization patch, but maybe not with some of the options)
  • The new GTA game (no idea when that is but one can hope)
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Company Of Heroes 2
  • Forza Horizon 4/ 5 when that happens (I like cars!)
  • Beam.ng (I really like cars but I also like watching them in pain and agony turns out)
Definitely Buying:

Found a very affordable and seemingly great ATX case for dirt cheap (76.24 USD) and it looks pretty great. Sure RGB galore but sleek and with the added fans I think it's worth it, gonna pay for it and pick it up tomorrow. name is the Gamemax Draxco XD (Great price, god awful name..)

The Options:

An RTX 2080 for 635 USD.
found this on a facebook forum and it's what's led me to make this post. I talked to the seller and he seems legit, viewed the card and even sent me a geekbench (?) benchmark, thinking of asking him for a better benchmark eventually.
The card is evidently very overkill for my system, but for that price, I'm actually considering it. I know the bottleneck is obvious, but I can always upgrade my cpu and mobo later right? See I would have considered just buying a new CPU and motherboard, but that seems like it won't give me the same increase in fps and quality, I don't see the big problem with bottlenecks if it's temporary, builds are dynamic and I can always just change the parts that are slowing things down. Not to mention this incredible deal all things considered. Where I live I doubt people are going to start selling the card for dirt cheap anytime soon, or any cheaper than this for atleast another year. Can I wait a year? maybe but It'll be painful, and I doubt my ability to save money, even if I'm not frugal my parents definitely are, and they're helping with the funds quite alot. also my current PSU might be a problem and it's been a headache looking into buying a good one for 70ish USD, I just don't want to burn down my house in 5 years, jesus..

A GTX 1070TI (559.09 USD) and a 500GB SSD (100 USD).
The 1070TI seems like a reasonable upgrade, and I'm uncertain of how pleased I'll be of performance. I think I'll be better off than with the 2080 even with the bottlenecks, but who knows for sure (probably someone here). I should have mentioned above but my system only has around 1Tb of storage and it's all HDD at the moment. A really good SSD like the one I found (and for that storage size) seems like a great offer (it's an M.2 Sata WD Blue, "sequential write speeds of up to 530 MB/s, sequential read speeds of up to 560 MB/s ") but I'm a flashy guy and I just want stuff to run very smooth, not necessarily load faster. Though admittedly I badly need the space and it would be nice to load into things faster, but I'm not too bothered about it. The 1070TI is already a significant upgrade too, so I have no clue!

A GTX 1660TI (381.20 USD) and a 500GB SSD (100 USD), and.. clothes!(76.24 USD)
Simillar story as the 1070TI, same SSD too. I need some new hoodies and I found some cool stuff to buy for christmas. I'm not asking whether a 1660TI and new clothes is a better purchase than a 1070TI, but true I kind of am. I'm mostly wondering if it's worth it to buy a 1070ti if the price is as much higher as it is, and considering the 1660ti instead, with worse performance but in my opinion a fairer (relatively) price.

GTX 1660TI AND MONITOR TOTALLING SAME PRICE AS RTX2080. (NEW)
Was browsing a shop and found a really good monitor (ACER ED273). It's a 1080p 27" 75Hz Curved monitor (talk about a mouthful) with speakers too! I (used to have and) love double monitor setups, my current monitor is a <Mod Edit> 23" samsung monitor with a blue line on the side,that I got from dirt cheap because the guy had a setting that made the thing look broken, oops.. But merry me! I overcloked the thin to 70hz but I don't rlly use the extra hz,so it's usually at 60 for the better colours. A nice big 27" sounds quite nice but is it nicer than an SSD? (and CLOTHESS!!??)

New CPU and MOBO for the same price as a RTX2080 (Unconsidered).
upgrading sounds like a pain at the moment. and I don't think I would get much better performance off from it. a quick look at stores seems to show that 9-10th gen CPUs is all they got, and I can't even get to 8! So I'd definitely need to change my motherboard which I don't know how much that'll cost. I'd need someone to convince me that I can getsome great performance improvements from a new CPU and mobo within the price range of the 2080, for me to be convinced. Since you guys have no idea of the price range though, just some performance proofs with mid range stuff could be enough, I can find cheap i5 10th gen cpus and the like.

Last edited by a moderator:

popatim

Titan
Well the RTX2080 would be just a GTX2080 if you don't run win10. The last i knew - ray tracing wasn't supported on win7

Me, I would get the 1660. It can be overclocked to nearly 1070Ti stock performance, and does really well in MC.

Who is charging $100 for a 500GB SSD? That's almost criminal. Maybe you aren't in the US ?

yassir560

Reputable
Jul 1, 2016
Well the RTX2080 would be just a GTX2080 if you don't run win10. The last i knew - ray tracing wasn't supported on win7

Me, I would get the 1660. It can be overclocked to nearly 1070Ti stock performance, and does really well in MC.

Who is charging $100 for a 500GB SSD? That's almost criminal. Maybe you aren't in the US ?
Maybe (definitely) not! I live on a tropical island in the middle of nowhere. Also I am a windows 10 pleb,so don't worry about that

I have no experience in overclocking,but definitely didn't think about it for the 1660ti,and ur right I definitely could do that. However my cooling isn't exaclty the best,I'm a fan guy, stock case fan guy (the fans from the case I linked,oh and one extra fan I already have,and I think a fan for my cpu). My temps are averagely good at the moment with the <Mod Edit> aurora's airflow ,but idk if they'll low enough to overclock with the new case. What do u think?

Last edited by a moderator: