[SOLVED] Upgrading GPU, Limited Knowledge

Takaron

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015
Hello all,

I'm currently reviewing the option to upgrade my graphics card (and other parts?) as I've started to play PC games again. I haven't looked into the graphics cards scene for the past two years or so and haven't upgraded my PC in roughly 5. I'm unaware of what my best options are and any help would be appreciated, reading stuff today makes me think with the monitor I've got (BenQ XL 2730z - 1440p - 144Hz) my card needs an upgrade.

Current PC Setup:
Processor - Intel i7-4790K
Memory - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 (Need Upgrading?)
Graphics Card - (MSi GeForce GTX 970 4GB)

Budget is flexible, just looking for a decent upgrade from the 970. Any help would be great, cheers

Solution
Basically these days you are looking at the GTX or the RTX series....the RTX series came out about a year and a half ago and the GTX series was before that.

Being you are gaming at 1440p.....I don't think you can "overkill" with the GPU.

You will be limited how high you can go with the GPU by your 4790k.

With the GTX series.....I think the max you want to go with the 4790k is a GTX 1080.....and with the RTX series....the max I would go is the RTX 2060.....otherwise I think you risk the CPU limiting the GPU.

Both are much faster than the 970 and will get you more FPS and more eye candy.
Basically these days you are looking at the GTX or the RTX series....the RTX series came out about a year and a half ago and the GTX series was before that.

Being you are gaming at 1440p.....I don't think you can "overkill" with the GPU.

With the GTX series.....I think the max you want to go with the 4790k is a GTX 1080.....and with the RTX series....the max I would go is the RTX 2060.....otherwise I think you risk the CPU limiting the GPU.

Solution

Takaron

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015

Is the RTX better than the GTX?

I've set a budget of about 750 for upgrades, do you think upgrading the CPU as well will be better or just leave it be? What are your thoughts on upgrading the ram from ddr3 1600 to something higher as well? 750 british pound*

Thanks for the comment

The only reason I would go higher with the CPU is.....is the GTX 1080 or the RTX 2060 isn't fast enough for you.

....and to find out...you can google those two cards for gaming benchmarks at 1440p and see what kind of fps you can expect.

"Is the RTX better than the GTX? "
The RTX is newer and also supports "ray tracing" (which you can google to find out about).....and the GPUS are faster. It's a new series. If it were me I would go with the RTX series because it's newer unless I could get a great deal on a GTX card.

As far as your memory....I would upgrade the GPU first and see if you're happy with that. 1600 may work for you.

Takaron

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015
The only reason I would go higher with the CPU is.....is the GTX 1080 or the RTX 2060 isn't fast enough for you.

....and to find out...you can google those two cards for gaming benchmarks at 1440p and see what kind of fps you can expect.

"Is the RTX better than the GTX? "
The RTX is newer and also supports "ray tracing" (which you can google to find out about).....and the GPUS are faster. It's a new series. If it were me I would go with the RTX series because it's newer unless I could get a great deal on a GTX card.

As far as your memory....I would upgrade the GPU first and see if you're happy with that. 1600 may work for you.

I think I'll take it one step at a time then, I'll probably get the RTX 2060 but I'll do the searches as you say. Cheers for the help!

johnsoner13

Respectable
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£154.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£98.95 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£78.30 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card (£359.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £726.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-11 22:42 GMT+0000

Might want to upgrade PSU as well but I’m unsure of your current one so I just left it out. The 3600 shouldnt hold back your GPU at all especially since you play at 1440p and the 5700 XT will smash the 2060.