Question Upgrading GPU

Jun 28, 2019
I'm pretty new to PC building and upgrading, which is why I have a prebuilt, but it has an AMD Radeon RX 560 (a smaller sized one not like a large one) and I was wondering how hard it'd be to upgrade it to an AMD RX 580 or some other better AMD Radeon GPU around the $300 price range.

WildCard999

Titan
You'll probably need to replace the PSU along with the GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $271.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-28 16:16 EDT-0400

The 1660 6gb outperforms the RX 580 a bit.

If you can let us know the exact PSU model then maybe it wouldn't need to be replaced and if so maybe it could handle the Vega 56 which is a excellent GPU for under $300.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Jun 28, 2019
You'll probably need to replace the PSU along with the GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $271.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-28 16:16 EDT-0400

The 1660 6gb outperforms the RX 580 a bit.

If you can let us know the exact PSU model then maybe it wouldn't need to be replaced and if so maybe it could handle the Vega 56 which is a excellent GPU for under $300.
How difficult would the switch from AMD to Nvidia be? And would the dual fan card fit the case? It's what I assume to be the generic Cyberpower PC case with the two RGB strips going down the front, and a glass panel with an RGB strip going along the bottom on the side of the case.\

WildCard999

Titan
How difficult would the switch from AMD to Nvidia be? And would the dual fan card fit the case? It's what I assume to be the generic Cyberpower PC case with the two RGB strips going down the front, and a glass panel with an RGB strip going along the bottom on the side of the case.\
Measure out the space in the case, while the Zotac card is dual fan the card is actually pretty small as it's made for smaller cases. After installing the GPU I would go into the control panel and uninstall the AMD drivers then get the newest ones from Nvidia.

Jun 28, 2019
While the power supply probably isn't great (they don't even seem to have listed it in the specifications there), if it's a 450 watt unit and has at least one 8-pin PCIe power cable, I suspect it could likely handle a GTX 1660 or 1660 Ti. Those cards are fairly efficient, and should only draw around 120-130 watts under load, which should only be around 50 watts or so more than your current card. Nvidia's specifications state that a 450 watt PSU should be fine for those cards, and even with one of them installed, all of your system's components together likely wouldn't be drawing much more than 300 watts from the PSU under load.

A higher-quality PSU might be more reliable, and could reduce the chances of damage happening to your components in the event of a power supply failure, but if your existing unit has the necessary 8-pin power cable, it would most likely be capable of running one of these cards.

As for AMD's current offerings around the $200-$300 price range, they are more power-hungry, and you would probably want a PSU upgrade for one of those. It seems likely that they will launch new, more efficient cards in that range sometime in the coming months, but for now, the only upcoming cards they have announced are set to be priced $380 or more when they launch next week.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...-1tb-hard-drive-black/6072200.p?skuId=6072200 here's the link to it but it's out of stock on most places I look :/
I found out that the PSU is 450 watts as well.
From the photo, it doesn't look like there's any restriction on card length. You've got the from the front of the case to the back.
As to that PSU, we'd need to know the nameplate specs (+12v rail amps and total watts), but I suspect it is capable of handling a GTX 1660, 1060. The RX 580 would be too much load. Does the PSU have a make and model name?