me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
i want to upgrade my mac osx to the latest version. in the app store it says i need a 10.8 or later but i have 10.7, how do i make the upgrade? is there a way that i can keep the look and theme of my desktop with out having all the icons with that cartoon look?

You can manually change individual folder and file icons. However, the last I checked. Apple's security policies killed theme Apps like Candybar. There are system icons which cannot be changed. I don't think you are allowed to change App icons anymore either.

Mac OS 10.7 came out in 2011. The only Mac of that era which can run the latest Mac OS (Mojave, 10.14) is the Mac Pro (with Metal compatible GPU). For any other model which shipped with Lion (10.7). The latest officially supported version is High Sierra (10.13). If this was an older computer upgraded to Lion check the next cutoff El Capitan (10.11) as anything which can run Sierra (10.12) can run High Sierra.

Figure out which version of macOS your Mac supports by looking up it's model (Apple Menu , About this Mac). Then you can download older macOS versions from the App Store by following the download links in the above Apple Support Articles.

Be aware sometime around 10.10/10.11. Mac OS became much more optimized for SSD. Mac with hard drives get hit with a heavy impact on performance. An SSD and 8GB RAM is recommended for 10.11 and later.

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
You can manually change individual folder and file icons. However, the last I checked. Apple's security policies killed theme Apps like Candybar. There are system icons which cannot be changed. I don't think you are allowed to change App icons anymore either.

Mac OS 10.7 came out in 2011. The only Mac of that era which can run the latest Mac OS (Mojave, 10.14) is the Mac Pro (with Metal compatible GPU). For any other model which shipped with Lion (10.7). The latest officially supported version is High Sierra (10.13). If this was an older computer upgraded to Lion check the next cutoff El Capitan (10.11) as anything which can run Sierra (10.12) can run High Sierra.

Figure out which version of macOS your Mac supports by looking up it's model (Apple Menu , About this Mac). Then you can download older macOS versions from the App Store by following the download links in the above Apple Support Articles.

Be aware sometime around 10.10/10.11. Mac OS became much more optimized for SSD. Mac with hard drives get hit with a heavy impact on performance. An SSD and 8GB RAM is recommended for 10.11 and later.

upgrading won't damage my system or cause problems for me will it? if i upgrade to 10.11 then upgrade to the lastest macosx from there would that be ok?

upgrading won't damage my system or cause problems for me will it? if i upgrade to 10.11 then upgrade to the lastest macosx from there would that be ok?
Always have a backup. While nothing should go wrong in an upgrade. There is always the possibility something can go wrong.

The most common issue is old software no longer being compatible with a later version of macOS.

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Always have a backup. While nothing should go wrong in an upgrade. There is always the possibility something can go wrong.

The most common issue is old software no longer being compatible with a later version of macOS.

I can't seem to find those versions of mac osx in the mac app store do you know where i can find them?

Last edited by a moderator:
o ok. would it be available in physical copy in stores?
No. They can only be downloaded through the app store. The links I provided go to support articles with the app store download link.

Although if you bring it into an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider. You may be able to pay them to update it to the latest version your Mac supports

Are the links I provided not working?