Upgrading motherboard and cpu... will my memory be compatible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
I'm upgrading my motherboard because i want the benefit of Sata 6.0gbps and USB3. So while i'm at it i will also upgrade my core i5 to core i7

Here's what i'm planning to buy :
ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

Now i would just ask if someone can confirm that my memory will be compatible with this motherboard.

The memory i have is:
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel Memory Kit

thanks

Solution

1.65v ram should be OK, I just wanted to warn you that anything higher is a...
The memory you referenced is 1.65v ram. That is the upper limit of voltage before you permanently damage your cpu.
The ram should operate properly using 1.5v, but will probably do so at a lower speed than 1600. That is not a biggie for performance.

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
Sorry, missed that post

The memory you referenced is 1.65v ram. That is the upper limit of voltage before you permanently damage your cpu.
The ram should operate properly using 1.5v, but will probably do so at a lower speed than 1600. That is not a biggie for performance.
So if i understand correctly, i will not be able to run this memory kit at 1600mhz because it could damage my CPU ?

So i guess i should also buy a new memory kit...

i have read that Sandy Bridge is incompatible with corsair memory, so i'm thinking of getting that :
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416

It will also work with my motherboard and CPU ?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Most DDR3 memory will work in your system of choice. The issue of compatibility really isn't an issue in the VAST MAJORITY of cases if you are running at stock/standard speeds. If you want to OC your memory (something I do not recommend) that you will get into some potential conflicts.

Just let your motherboard manage your memory speeds (set to AUTO) and your existing memory will be fine.

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
I'm not planning to OC anything

Just let your motherboard manage your memory speeds (set to AUTO) and your existing memory will be fine.
But someone said earlier that my memory will run under 1600mhz... i do not want 1333mhz, so if i need to buy a new set of memory to get 1600mhz i will do it but i would prefer not having to spend extra money

COLGeek

Cybernaut
1333 is the standard DDR3 speed. The difference between 1333 and 1600 is truly negligible. Stability is far more important than the minor increase in throughput.

That being said, you are considering a quality motherboard (s) with quality memory and more likely than not, your mobo will run your memory at 1600 with no issues. Of course, you can always buy new memory (it is relatively cheap), but it isn't necessary.

1.65v ram should be OK, I just wanted to warn you that anything higher is a risk.

The current Intel nehalem and sandy bridge cpu's have an excellent integrated ram controller. It is able to keep the cpu fed with data from any speed ram.
The difference in real application performance or FPS between the fastest and slowest ram is on the order of 1-3%.

Synthetic benchmark differences will be impressive, but are largely irrelevant in the real world.

Fancy heat spreaders are mostly marketing too.

Only if you are seeking record level overclocks should you consider faster ram or better latencies.
Read this Anandtech article on memory scaling:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/1
---------------bottom line------------

DDR3 1600 is the sweet spot.

You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.

As to mixed ram:
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one kit.

Solution

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
ok thanks a lot, very instructive !

i'll stay with my 1.65v ram then

Thanks for the infos about mixed ram, thats one question i wanted to ask. According to newegg feeedbacks on GSKILL memory they often tell customers that they will not support them if they ram wasnt bought in kits... I always bought ram separatly. I am currently running two types of different memory and never had a single problem... so i think i will continue that way because 16GB kit is way too expensive ($160 for 16gb compared to $40 for each 8GB kit)

it's stupid that they dont't sell 2x8gb and not 4x4gb kit.... And if i buy two 2x8gb kits to get 32gb they will still say i didn't buy a kit.... Ram vendors are expecting us to use only 2 of the 4 memory slots or what ???

Single 8gb ram sticks are new and expensive, $60-$80, compared with individual 4gb ram sticks which are $15-$20.

If you want 16gb, then 4 x 4gb is reasonable, like $80 or so.

If you want >16gb, on a 1155 socket, then you are looking at $300 or so for a 32gb kit of 4 x 8gb.
You also need more than windows 7 to access >16gb.
For ultimate speed of 64 bit enabled apps, it might be a great thing.

Whatever, good luck with your ram.
Take the time to check it out with memtest86+, and get the latest version; the old version does not run on sandy bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.