[SOLVED] Upgrading my CPU, need some input.

Feb 12, 2020
Hey, I'm just trying to get some input from others. I game + stream from this PC, sometimes play multiple games at once, or have multiple browsers open while I game. I've been having issues for a while with my computer, in games my game will freeze for a few seconds. Frames will drop to 0/1 then freeze, application pixelation, unable to even open an OBS at times. Unable to play the new COD and some other issues.
Current build:
i5-6600K
16GB 2666Mhz RAM
GTX 1070 SC

I'm looking to upgrade my computer and I'm pretty set on Ryzen just price to performance is fantastic.
My question would be: What Ryzen cpu should I go with? I have been debating between the Ryzen 7 2700X, Ryzen 5 3600, or the Ryzen 7 3700X.

Solution
Feb 12, 2020
It surely depends on your budget. Also you should seriously consider that you have a K chip that you can easily overclock to 4.5gh @ 1,28v and if lucky even more depending on your motherboard and cpu cooling method. Ryzen 3700x is about 20% more powerfull than 6600k at stock speed but if you lock it 1Gh over stock you might start to think about other upgrades.

Feb 12, 2020
Saint.Lupin,
My budget is about $800 for upgrades to my PC. I know I can overclock my CPU which I had up to 4.0GHz for a while but my Motherboard for some reason won't let me manually overclock the CPU. I have to have a preset overclock. I also don't have any liquid cooling and I don't want to over do the oc.
I know I'd need to upgrade my RAM, I had that accounted for. Was going to upgrade the CPU, MOBO, and get 3200Mhz CAS16 RAM.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
For streaming/gaming/encoding, I can definitely recommend the 3700x.
I had a Ryzen 5 2600 (OC'd to 4 GHz) and it worked well for gaming Or streaming Or encoding.
But wasn't quite enough to Game and Stream Or Game and Encode.

But with my 3700x I can now play a AAA game while encoding videos or streaming to 2 1080p TV's via Plex without any issues.

logainofhades

Titan
Solution
Consider the possibility that with all of the tasks loaded that you are short of ram.
Look at your task manager pageing statistics.
If you see anything more than 0 per second, you are short of ram.
And, if you do not have a ssd for the page file a hard fault will take very long to resolve.
Some 50x longer on a HDD.
The symptoms are abysmal cpu performance.

As much as I like the 6600K(I still have one on a backup pc) I think it is time to change.
With many tasks active, ryzen is a good upgrade for you.
I don't think more than the 12 threads on the r5 processors will be a priority.
The X suffix processors are better binned.
Do not count on being able to get significant overclocks on any ryzen you pick.
As a matter of principle, when you upgrade, go with current gen, namely 3000 series chip and a current motherboard.

I suggest a 2 x 16gb compatible ram kit.
Double check compatibility with your selected motherboard.
It will have a ram qvl list with validated ram. Pick a kit from the list.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It surely depends on your budget. Also you should seriously consider that you have a K chip that you can easily overclock to 4.5gh @ 1,28v and if lucky even more depending on your motherboard and cpu cooling method.

I can't say with any authority how likely such an overclock is, or how long you can do that long term.

However, in this case, given OPs usage, it's the Skylake i5's limit of 4 cores/4 threads that appears to be the predominant issue.