Apr 12, 2020
Hello guys!

I am looking to upgrade my setup since is getting really old. Here it is:

CPU: i5 6600k

GPU: GTX 960 4GB

SSD: Kingston a400 240GB + 120GB one

MB: Gigabyte B150m - D3h DDR3

RAM: some Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 - 1333Mhz

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My budget is 100 euro / 110$ + selling the parts and my goal is mainly gaming but I also do a bit of video and photo editing, nothing too heavy.

I see three options:

1st - Change RAM, CPU and MB: selling my CPU for 120€ and the MB for 30€, it adds to 250€ to get:

CPU: either i5-9400F or Ryzen 5 3600

MB: Gigabyte B450M DS3H or Gigabyte B365M-DS3H, depends on the CPU

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz

2nd - Change just the GPU, selling mine for 100 and getting:

GPU: either GTX 1060 6GB or AMD RX 590 8GB

3rd - Whatever you tell me

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much guys.

Solution
8GB is enough for gaming. Unless you absolutely need 16GB for a particular program or reason then it's not worth spending the money on older DDR3. You'll be fine.

Now if you were to buy DDR4, then definitely you would have to look into the speeds as current systems rely on memory speed. Especially AMD. My opinion is to always overbuy your computer because in 2 years when you want to add that 8gb of ram, get that I7 instead of an I5, your buying into old technology to upgrade and what do you do with the old parts you are replacing.

What I do is overbuy. Get lots of RAM, a good CPU, etc... and use it as long as required which zero upgrades to the system. When it's time for an overhaul I do the whole board/ram/cpu to a new...
Apr 12, 2020
Your current CPU wouldn't bottleneck a 1660 Super that much. And 8GB is fine for gaming. You biggest gain will be from the new video card for now.

Yeah but its a 1333MHz DDR3, I geniunely thought it was my biggest problem. But thank you for answering, I will keep that in mind!

gondo

Distinguished
8GB is enough for gaming. Unless you absolutely need 16GB for a particular program or reason then it's not worth spending the money on older DDR3. You'll be fine.

Now if you were to buy DDR4, then definitely you would have to look into the speeds as current systems rely on memory speed. Especially AMD. My opinion is to always overbuy your computer because in 2 years when you want to add that 8gb of ram, get that I7 instead of an I5, your buying into old technology to upgrade and what do you do with the old parts you are replacing.

What I do is overbuy. Get lots of RAM, a good CPU, etc... and use it as long as required which zero upgrades to the system. When it's time for an overhaul I do the whole board/ram/cpu to a new generation and sell the old parts and retire them to the wife's/parents computer. I have never upgraded just the RAM or CPU in 22 years of assembling systems. And it's way easier to retire or sell a whole set as opposed to just a single component like a CPU.

Solution