Upgrading, PLEASE help!!

DAE_JA_VOO

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2005
Okay, hear's the deal:

I've found enough cash to upgrade my PC now, and again half way through next year, but this upgrade will be a little one, Mobo and CPU, next year's one will be huge. (i'm talking Dual 7800GTX etc...)

But the upgrade i do now, must be an AGP friendly upgrade. I was thinking of an ABIT AV8 mobo and a 3800+ single core.

Then i realised that i should just buy the dual core chip now and get it over with.

I dunno what to do.

Is the mobo okay? It's the best AGP A64 board i can find, and cheap too (R850).

Suggestions please!

endyen

Splendid
I'm guessing this is mainly a gaming rig.
Dual cores wont do anything for gaming for the next few years. You would be giving up frames, to get a dunsel core.
As far as the AV8 goes, I have the 3rd eye version, and it's great. If you dont OC, the regular board will be good. If you plan on OCing, get the 3rd eye board. It has uguru, which is a real joy.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you don't know what to do, then don't do anything, because you'll only come to regret it.

:tongue:

Seriously though, why upgrade your mobo to something that you're going to toss? :? Wouldn't it make sense just to wait the six months and save your money for then? Prices will probably come down a bit more by then too.

Of course it's your money, so do what you want.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
There is an Asrock which will take your AGP card and dual core now while allowing u to upgrade to PCI-E in the future not to mention its super cheap and performs well.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
what stuff you gona reuse? i mean if you got a s754 board then there is no point in going to s939 for m2 is arriving next year, s939 don't give that much performace over the s754 except if you OC or have weird ram configs (s939 have better ondie mem controllers) IMO if you got s754 then get like new cpu if ur cpu is crappo and if you got soicket A (forgot pin number...) then upgrade with like >200 to get a cheapo s754 + A64 combo....... and keep ur agp gfx card (which i assume its a good one like X700 or 6600GT or something...)