Question Upgrading to windows 10 on new SSD

Chris 2224

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2016
I bought a Kingston 120GB ssd today and I decided to start with a fresh OS.

I burned a win 10 DVD with the iso from the official site. I put the CD in and make it boot the instalation as usual.
When I did that, there was no installation, just a '_' underscore blinking.

So I decided to pull out the old HDD in case that was the problem.
Made it boot to CD drive in bios and the same thing happened again.

I decided to pull out the old Win 8.1 disk I had and did the same thing and it WORKED.
I have put the OS on the SDD and had the HDD empty for other games, but I wanted to upgrade to WIN 10.
I decided to upgrade it and the installation went smooth until the restarting part happened.

When the pc restarted it showed the underscore again, and my SSD wasn't showing in the BIOS, and when I restarted the pc again it went back to win 8.1 saying the upgrade was unsuccessful.

I thought maybe my sata cable was faulty so I changed it but I didn't try it yet, I'm not at home.

Does anyone know a reason and maybe a fix to this, because if the SSD was faulty it wouldn't boot 8.1 either.

My pc specs are GTX 1050TI
AMD Athlon x4 860k
8gb ram
gigabyte f2a55m-s1 Motherboard

USAFRet

Titan

Chris 2224

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2016
Use the MediaCreation tool from MS to build that DVD correctly.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Can I do that with a USB, don't have more dvds

Chris 2224

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2016
I'm trying it when I get home, worst case I'll just use 8.1 until I take it to a pc shop, maybe that's the best option.
I have successfully started the Win 10 setup with the UEFI boot, but I ran Into another problem..

I have unplugged the hard disk drive and only kept the SSD in, and when I try to create a new partition it just doesn't.
While hdd was inside, it has shown me an error.

Now I'm stuck thinking if the ssd is flawed bit I bought it today and 8.1 booted smoothly..

D

Deleted member 14196

You don’t need to create any partitions the windows installer will do it for you. You do an advanced install and you pick your ssd drive and click the next button

Chris 2224

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2016
You don’t need to create any partitions the windows installer will do it for you. You do an advanced install and you pick your ssd drive and click the next button
When I do that it says We couldn't install Windows in the location you choose. ( error 0x80300024).......
i literally don't know what to do anymore

USAFRet

Titan
When I do that it says We couldn't install Windows in the location you choose. ( error 0x80300024).......
i literally don't know what to do anymore
When it asks 'where', you select Custom.
You'll be presented with a list of all partitions on it.
Delete ALL, leaving one blank space.
Continue.

Chris 2224

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2016
When it asks 'where', you select Custom.
You'll be presented with a list of all partitions on it.
Delete ALL, leaving one blank space.
Continue.

Shows me the same problem again.. Please check your media drive (0x80300024)

Chris 2224

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2016
Possibly try a different USB port.

I am currently using windows on a DVD, because I got it to work somehow.
Now I have tried to put the win 8.1 disk in because it worked in the first place, and now it doesn't. Same exact problem. Like the ssd has gotten corrupted..