Upgrading Windows XP to Windows 7

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello everyone,

I have to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 8 this week for about 7 PCs on my network. Can anyone help me out and tell me what the easiest way to upgrade without loosing any information or programs on the current OS? Would I have to do them individually, or perhaps all at once from the main PC? Is there a special license that I would need to obtain for multiple installations, or would I just but the OS for each machine.

The computers have specialized programs that are written for a hotel, if that helps, at all.

Please, forgive my ignorance in this matter. I do feel confident, though, that I will be able to achieve a successful installation if I just have a bit of a kickstart.

Thank you in advance for any and all help, suggestions and/or advice that you can offer. It will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Testudo.

Solution
See this Microsoft link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-from-windows-vista-xp-tutorial

Note (from the linked page), "To upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows Vista or Windows XP, you'll need to install it from a Windows 8.1 DVD and perform a clean installation. This means you won't be able to keep any files, settings, or programs when you upgrade. "

You will need to backup files to another location until the installation is completed and then copy them back. In short, you can't simply upgrade to Windows 8 from XP, you must perform a clean install.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
See this Microsoft link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-from-windows-vista-xp-tutorial

Note (from the linked page), "To upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows Vista or Windows XP, you'll need to install it from a Windows 8.1 DVD and perform a clean installation. This means you won't be able to keep any files, settings, or programs when you upgrade. "

You will need to backup files to another location until the installation is completed and then copy them back. In short, you can't simply upgrade to Windows 8 from XP, you must perform a clean install.

Solution