LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Hi,
I have an ups called trust oxxtron(the old version with 6leds) I had it from my uncle that before gived an apc 420(actually good).
The problem is that it have a fan that is always on if the ups is plugged.
There are any way for adjust fan speed or make it less louder?(like with a kinda of silencer idk)
The fact is that my uncle had modified it with a batter of 1kw... the ups is never at max power, I think the mac peak it can reach is 600W
P.S.
I want to quiet it cause is in my bedroom and on night is quite loud....

Solution
does exist domething to pot in front of a fan like an alf sphere with a lot of holes for make it less loud?

Exist? Yes.
Is it a good idea? No. Since with it, you'll increase restrictions in airflow and in turn, reduce cooling amount. Which can lead to overheat, which can lead to either UPS dying, or at worst case, catching fire.

---

And some chill thoughts as well:
This here is a good case of: "beggars can't be choosers", or in other words, be happy with what you have, since you got it with the best possible price: free. ;):LOL:
Though, ear plugs would be far more effective, since they block all kinds of sounds, and not just UPS. :LOL:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
When it comes to UPSes, for the most part, their noise isn't considered because they are mainly used in server rooms or any other, non-livable room. Now, there are consumer grade UPSes as well and it comes down to manufacturer (brand), to decide if they want to annoy their customers with the fan noise or not.

I've seen many cases where UPS has loud fans, even when UPS isn't currently utilized, but powered on. I, personally, am using two CyberPower UPSes and mine are dead silent. They do have a fan in them as well but fan goes off when needed, which makes it far more manageable.

As far as your issue goes, and unless you open up the UPS (which i advise against), to change out the fan, there is nothing you can do. Other than that, you can also either live with it (e.g increase white noise in your room to mask it), or buy an UPS actually intended for home use and with semi-passive fan in it.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
When it comes to UPSes, for the most part, their noise isn't considered because they are mainly used in server rooms or any other, non-livable room. Now, there are consumer grade UPSes as well and it comes down to manufacturer (brand), to decide if they want to annoy their customers with the fan noise or not.

I've seen many cases where UPS has loud fans, even when UPS isn't currently utilized, but powered on. I, personally, am using two CyberPower UPSes and mine are dead silent. They do have a fan in them as well but fan goes off when needed, which makes it far more manageable.

As far as your issue goes, and unless you open up the UPS (which i advise against), to change out the fan, there is nothing you can do. Other than that, you can also either live with it (e.g increase white noise in your room to mask it), or buy an UPS actually intended for home use and with semi-passive fan in it.
I m fine with my free ups XD
does exist domething to pot in front of a fan like an alf sphere with a lot of holes for make it less loud? The sound is not that loud but as said in night time can be annoying

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
does exist domething to pot in front of a fan like an alf sphere with a lot of holes for make it less loud?

Exist? Yes.
Is it a good idea? No. Since with it, you'll increase restrictions in airflow and in turn, reduce cooling amount. Which can lead to overheat, which can lead to either UPS dying, or at worst case, catching fire.

---

This here is a good case of: "beggars can't be choosers", or in other words, be happy with what you have, since you got it with the best possible price: free. ;):LOL:
Though, ear plugs would be far more effective, since they block all kinds of sounds, and not just UPS. :LOL:

Solution
I would not suggest reducing the airflow of the fan, but increasing it. The stock fan is sized to prevent overheating during the stock runtime of ~7 minutes at max load and if you have replaced the battery with one 100x the size it can now run for 12hrs instead, so the fan must be appropriately sized to prevent overheating for that extended time.

I suggest a high-speed thermally-controlled fan in the stock size that ideally shuts off completely until it gets hot. While the UPS is running of course it will sound like a hairdryer or leafblower, but if the power goes out for that long I suspect you won't care then.

I have 4 deep-cycle car batteries on a 3000VA Smart-UPS (fan doesn't turn on unless it's running) and can tell you the ISP here only has 4hrs of battery capacity on the local node, so even though I'll have plenty of power left at 4hrs, the internet still goes out then. It wasn't free but was $12.50 during the dotcom bust, so you might keep a lookout for a similarly large and heavy enterprise-class unit on Craigslist or the equivalent, since the resale value is so poor from the difficulty in shipping hundreds of pounds of toxic lead.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Exist? Yes.

---

thx