Feb 26, 2021
Does an UPS with built in AVR (line interactive online ) work better in regulating the voltage than a dedicated AVR? Because they seem to have a lot of features like pure sine waves, online ups and I dont really now if its better than a dedicated avr in the topic. Can someone explain me all of this?

CP1300EPFCLCD - Sistemas SAI de Respaldo | CyberPower - This ups has pure sine waves, built in AVR, etcc is it better than a regular avr a dealing with all those issues?? because the backup battery is not that necessary for me
Reguladores de tensão. - APC Portugal

Last edited:
Does an UPS with built in AVR (line interactive online ) work better in regulating the voltage than a dedicated AVR? Because they seem to have a lot of features like pure sine waves, online ups and I dont really now if its better than a dedicated avr in the topic. Can someone explain me all of this?

Line interactive and online are two different things.

A line interactive UPS is an offline UPS with AVR. An online UPS is a UPS that is always on the battery's circuit, therefore there's no switch over delay.

The AVR in a line interactive UPS is exactly the same as a stand alone AVR.

Reactions: Malejj1

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
You mentioned that you don't need battery backup, so I'll skip UPS altogether.

AVRs are inherently pure sine waves as they're just boosting or bucking the main AC supply. Now, there are two types of AVRs.... the relay type or the servo type.

I live in a 220V home so my examples are as such. The same principle applies when you're in a 120V system, etc.

Relay types will have a pre-determined number of boosts or bucks, typically just one boost and one buck step on most cheaper AVRs. That means, the AVR can increase or decrease the mains voltage between 20-30V... which should keep the output within 200-230V (for a 220V system). A relay AVR may not provide fine adjustments but it is fast to react to sharp voltage changes. This is best for environments where the electricity can suddenly go below 200V or above 240V in an instant (ie. you have large machinery nearby powering up or down).

Servo types are more expensive but they will maintain 220V output down to plus/minus a couple of volts. However, they're a little slow to react, limited by the speed of the servo motor adjusting the internal VARIAC transformer. This is ideal for environments where the mains supply is relatively stable but goes slightly above or below your target voltage. This is for equipment that is voltage sensitive and will only take 220V, exactly, or some weird things starts to happen.

If you want pure regulated output, get a servo AVR or a UPS that has dual-conversion (aka online UPS). If you just want to protect the equipment from large voltage swings but not require any battery backup, a relay-type AVR will do. Research and reading the specs is your key. Good luck.

Reactions: Malejj1
Feb 26, 2021
Line interactive and online are two different things.

A line interactive UPS is an offline UPS with AVR. An online UPS is a UPS that is always on the battery's circuit, therefore there's no switch over delay.

The AVR in a line interactive UPS is exactly the same as a stand alone AVR.
Hmmm I see. The question is wich one should I get but as the other guy said, an AVR should be better in my case, since I dont need the backup battery

Feb 26, 2021
You mentioned that you don't need battery backup, so I'll skip UPS altogether.

AVRs are inherently pure sine waves as they're just boosting or bucking the main AC supply. Now, there are two types of AVRs.... the relay type or the servo type.

I live in a 220V home so my examples are as such. The same principle applies when you're in a 120V system, etc.

Relay types will have a pre-determined number of boosts or bucks, typically just one boost and one buck step on most cheaper AVRs. That means, the AVR can increase or decrease the mains voltage between 20-30V... which should keep the output within 200-230V (for a 220V system). A relay AVR may not provide fine adjustments but it is fast to react to sharp voltage changes. This is best for environments where the electricity can suddenly go below 200V or above 240V in an instant (ie. you have large machinery nearby powering up or down).

Servo types are more expensive but they will maintain 220V output down to plus/minus a couple of volts. However, they're a little slow to react, limited by the speed of the servo motor adjusting the internal VARIAC transformer. This is ideal for environments where the mains supply is relatively stable but goes slightly above or below your target voltage. This is for equipment that is voltage sensitive and will only take 220V, exactly, or some weird things starts to happen.

If you want pure regulated output, get a servo AVR or a UPS that has dual-conversion (aka online UPS). If you just want to protect the equipment from large voltage swings but not require any battery backup, a relay-type AVR will do. Research and reading the specs is your key. Good luck.
Thanks for the explanation!! In my country its 220V 50hz, In my house the lights flicker a lot whenever something that requires more power is plugged in. I suspect that this might be causing abnormal sttuters in my laptop, because when I had a desktop, It had that problem too here and there but I thought it was a problem of the pc itself. The laptop works way better in other people homes so I really believe it has to do with my home poor eletricity. In this case and reading your very helpful explanation, I think a servo type its better. What do you think?

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Do you still get the stuttering when your laptop is on battery?

Does your electricity frequently dip down enough for the laptop to momentarily switch to battery mode then back to AC mode?

Feb 26, 2021
Do you still get the stuttering when your laptop is on battery?

Does your electricity frequently dip down enough for the laptop to momentarily switch to battery mode then back to AC mode?
When In battery, I only use it on windows and simple tasks, because in gaming an huge tasks the laptop automatically worses the performance to save battery so idk, but in other people houses I tested gaming there and it is definetely smoother. The dips was never enough to make the computer switch to battery mode.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Let's step back a bit.... The quality of your electricity may be less than ideal but I think it's just a red herring with respect to your computer. In other words, I haven't encountered a computer performing poorly in games from bad electricity. If your power is really bad, computers tend to either shutdown or reboot.

Is it possible that your internet has anything to do with your game performance? Maybe your modem or router reboots or loses connection momentarily when there's a power disturbance?

Feb 26, 2021
Let's step back a bit.... The quality of your electricity may be less than ideal but I think it's just a red herring with respect to your computer. In other words, I haven't encountered a computer performing poorly in games from bad electricity. If your power is really bad, computers tend to either shutdown or reboot.

Is it possible that your internet has anything to do with your game performance? Maybe your modem or router reboots or loses connection momentarily when there's a power disturbance?
Nopp It doesnt turn off, but sometimes when I plug something in the power strip that I have my laptop plugged in, it makes the feeling of lag and lack of responsiveness worse, thats another thing

Feb 26, 2021
Nopp It doesnt turn off, but sometimes when I plug something in the power strip that I have my laptop plugged in, it makes the feeling of lag and lack of responsiveness worse, thats another thing
Because this is a whole new computer, better than the desktop computer that I had before but its a laptop (and the desktop wasnt bad). The issue still persists and its just the same feeling has I had in the desktop. No new periferals, updates, tweeks, drivers fix this and the fact that other houses seem to fix the problem it has to be something about the eletricity or the internet. But the internet its fast no problem in terms of ping, but idk

Feb 26, 2021
Mouse/input lag is killing me | NVIDIA GeForce Forums this guy has a problem that sounds like mine, he solved it by moving for another appartment. Some say that ups double conversion pure sin waves solvd theirs, but I dont think I need to spend so much if a dedicated avr can do as a double conversion does in terms of those issues but Idk, maybe those double conversion have extra things that an avr dont fix from the eletricity

Feb 26, 2021
It won't be better. It will be cheaper. If you don't NEED a UPS, why get a UPS?

Also, it doesn't sound like you need an AVR either. Your problem is not power related.
The thing is, its the second computer that I have with this problem. My desktop had it aswell. No system reset, driver update, tweeks, etc. fixed the issue on the desktop. No new periferals like mouse, keyboard, nothing... And this laptop is all different and yet the problem is there... While I have friends that dont install all drivers, and dont do all those tweeks and their gameplay and general usage is way smooth. Also going to my friends home once solved the issue so idk

Feb 26, 2021
The thing is, its the second computer that I have with this problem. My desktop had it aswell. No system reset, driver update, tweeks, etc. fixed the issue on the desktop. No new periferals like mouse, keyboard, nothing... And this laptop is all different and yet the problem is there... While I have friends that dont install all drivers, and dont do all those tweeks and their gameplay and general usage is way smooth. Also going to my friends home once solved the issue so idk
I still kinda want to try this since I saw somewhere that it fixed someones issue, can u explain me the difference between a line interactive ups and an online double conversion and an AVR except for the battery?

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Just a problem with the mouse? I mean, is the stuttering you mentioned relates to erratic mouse movements? Is it wireless?

Does your game FPS suffer at all when this "thing" happens?

You'll need to be objective and accurate with your observation as this will affect possible solutions to your case.

But for now, I'm with Jonnyguru on this. It's beginning to sound less like a power-related issue.

Feb 26, 2021
Just a problem with the mouse? I mean, is the stuttering you mentioned relates to erratic mouse movements? Is it wireless?

Does your game FPS suffer at all when this "thing" happens?

You'll need to be objective and accurate with your observation as this will affect possible solutions to your case.

But for now, I'm with Jonnyguru on this. It's beginning to sound less like a power-related issue.
It cant be mouse and keyboard because the ones that I use now are different than the ones that I had on my desktop with the same issue. Both are wired and good gaming gears. The laptop has a i5 10th gen and 1660ti aswell as 12 gigs of ram, my old desktop had a core i5 7400 and 8 gigs and 1050ti, in the beggining my desktop was fine thats why when it turned to <Mod Edit> because of this ( out of sync, unresponsive, laggy) I noticed and tryied to fix with a lot of different things (drivers, settings, clean installation.. ) the thing is.. I think I shouldnt need to be messing around with all those things to get stable performance... a bunch of friends of mine dont do even 10% of the things that I have done to try to fix this and their games run smooth and fine.. So why Im I getting this this being a completely different pc? Its weird..

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 26, 2021
It cant be mouse and keyboard because the ones that I use now are different than the ones that I had on my desktop with the same issue. Both are wired and good gaming gears. The laptop has a i5 10th gen and 1660ti aswell as 12 gigs of ram, my old desktop had a core i5 7400 and 8 gigs and 1050ti, in the beggining my desktop was fine thats why when it turned to <Mod Edit> because of this ( out of sync, unresponsive, laggy) I noticed and tryied to fix with a lot of different things (drivers, settings, clean installation.. ) the thing is.. I think I shouldnt need to be messing around with all those things to get stable performance... a bunch of friends of mine dont do even 10% of the things that I have done to try to fix this and their games run smooth and fine.. So why Im I getting this this being a completely different pc? Its weird..
And since my eletricity is very old and unstable and nothing else worked and seeing some posts of people complaining about similar issues that proved to be caused by flawed eletricity I thought, "why not", but I think Ill once again go to my friends house, do a clean installation, no change in drivers only graphics card and windows update graphics and see if its still messed

Feb 26, 2021
And since my eletricity is very old and unstable and nothing else worked and seeing some posts of people complaining about similar issues that proved to be caused by flawed eletricity I thought, "why not", but I think Ill once again go to my friends house, do a clean installation, no change in drivers only graphics card and windows update graphics and see if its still messed
A thing that I realised to was my unstable temps on cpu. In games it consumes only 50% and the temps go from 70 to 90 to 90 to 70 to 80 always bouncing that can be something too. Heat and temps was the only thing that I didnt pay attention in my old pc since It had 3 fans and no motives to heat