Question URGENT: Critical Process Died BSOD - Macrium Reflect - Have access to OS but C: Drive data is missing! Any help appreciated

JoshMc1404

Honorable
Apr 1, 2017
So for context about a week ago the Macrium Reflect backups for my C: Drive (Corsair 240GB SSD) suddenly started failing, with occasional BSOD occurrences, so I temporarily stopped the daily backups and figured I would sort it when I had the free time.

This morning I went onto Macrium Reflect and deleted the old backup xml file, and was in the process of setting up a new backup schedule for my SSD (which contains windows and apps etc) and during the process my PC went to BSOD again, but this time with a different error code: Critical Process Died.

I restarted the PC and it booted back into Windows normally, but all my personal files from the C: Drive have gone, settings have been reset, etc. I find this really odd as the windows files are fine, my apps are still installed, but my user data is all gone. Luckily most of my user files are backed up via the cloud, but some are not.

For reference, I've got a USB with Windows 10 recovery media on it. I also have a copy of the WinPE Macrium Reflect environment recovery media on a separate USB, though I believe it is one of the older (possibly outdated) versions.

I would normally just run the WinPE USB and restore the C: Drive backup, however when I've gone into the HDD I use for storing the backup image files, the C: Drive image is gone, along with the incremental files, and there is only a 'backup running' temp file there.

I'm also worried that if I restart the PC or turn it off, I might not be able to get back into Windows again, and I would prefer to not have to do a fresh install of it and all my apps etc.

Can anyone think of another solution for restoring the drive and its files without having to do a complete reinstall of all my apps etc? Only I had some really awful news yesterday and I'm really not in the right frame of mind to be having to deal with this issue if I'm honest, it's the worst timing for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My PC info:

Windows 10 64 bit
CPU: Intel i7-8700K @ 3.7GHz (never overclocked)
Mobo: Asus Maximus X Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz DDR4
Graphics Card: Zotac Nvidia GTX 1080
SSD: Corsair Force LE 240GB
HDD: Multiple 2-8GB internal drives, different manufacturers.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

JoshMc1404

Honorable
Apr 1, 2017
Still see your profile in the users directory?

I should have updated the description, but yes my profile is showing up on the C: drive and I've copied some of the key files to a safe HDD. I'm in a temp profile at the moment.

I've had a look at the event viewer and it shows Event ID 1508,1509,1502,1511 - all relating to issues with the local profile/registry and being unable to access it.
I scanned the C: drive under the tools tab in explorer and it came back without any issues, but using admin command prompt with sfc /scannow it showed corrupt sections. I'm worried if I use DISM that some of the data on the drive will be lost, and with M Reflect having purged the old backups (and windows unable to make a new backup/restore point) I don't want to have to use it if there is another way around the issue.

Any thoughts?

JoshMc1404

Honorable
Apr 1, 2017
backup all your data to another 2 physical disk. copy and paste, not whole disk.
then try to dism it

DISM worked in the end, back into my normal user profile with no apparent issues etc. I'm still worried as to why Macrium Reflect is the cause of these BSODs and crashes when I attempt to backup my C: Drive, but I will put in a support ticket with them directly to try and find out why that is.

Thanks again for the help!