USB 2.0 MASS STORAGE DEVICE!!!

hi,in device manager,my usb 2.0 mass storage device has a yellow symbol with
! in it,it says the device cannot start properly (code 10),i have tried
unistalling it and reinstalling it,it says there was a problem with the
istallation and it might not work properly,tried updating/rollback etc of the
drivers,but none of this works...help.. all hd's etc were preinstalled when i
bought the pc,i have all the lastest updates etc inc service pack,but this
prob was present prior to installing them..my pc is a medion powerplus 3200+
(xp he,amd athlon xp 3200+,160gb,512ram)..also im unsure if this is related
but,upon start up of my pc,it seems to stick on the first screen(the one with
all tech details- processor/memory etc) for about 3-4 mins(only shows the
first 4 lines of info from top of screen immediately),then goes fine then
goes to a blank screen after the win xp screen for 1-2 mins then finally get
to the log on screen??????? help
--
thanks
stu8975

Does either of these apply to you:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870893 or
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873169 ? Both deal
with WinXP SP2 and USB problems.

"stu8975" <stu8975@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi,in device manager,my usb 2.0 mass storage device has a yellow symbol
> with
> ! in it,it says the device cannot start properly (code 10),i have tried
> unistalling it and reinstalling it,it says there was a problem with the
> istallation and it might not work properly,tried updating/rollback etc of
> the
> drivers,but none of this works...help.. all hd's etc were preinstalled
> when i
> bought the pc,i have all the lastest updates etc inc service pack,but this
> prob was present prior to installing them..my pc is a medion powerplus
> 3200+
> (xp he,amd athlon xp 3200+,160gb,512ram)..also im unsure if this is
> related
> but,upon start up of my pc,it seems to stick on the first screen(the one
> with
> all tech details- processor/memory etc) for about 3-4 mins(only shows the
> first 4 lines of info from top of screen immediately),then goes fine then
> goes to a blank screen after the win xp screen for 1-2 mins then finally
> get
> to the log on screen??????? help
> --
> thanks
> stu8975

hi ,no this doesnt apply or remedy the prob as it was present before sp2 was
installed???

"Kevin" wrote:

> Does either of these apply to you:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870893 or
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873169 ? Both deal
> with WinXP SP2 and USB problems.
>
> "stu8975" <stu8975@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi,in device manager,my usb 2.0 mass storage device has a yellow symbol
> > with
> > ! in it,it says the device cannot start properly (code 10),i have tried
> > unistalling it and reinstalling it,it says there was a problem with the
> > istallation and it might not work properly,tried updating/rollback etc of
> > the
> > drivers,but none of this works...help.. all hd's etc were preinstalled
> > when i
> > bought the pc,i have all the lastest updates etc inc service pack,but this
> > prob was present prior to installing them..my pc is a medion powerplus
> > 3200+
> > (xp he,amd athlon xp 3200+,160gb,512ram)..also im unsure if this is
> > related
> > but,upon start up of my pc,it seems to stick on the first screen(the one
> > with
> > all tech details- processor/memory etc) for about 3-4 mins(only shows the
> > first 4 lines of info from top of screen immediately),then goes fine then
> > goes to a blank screen after the win xp screen for 1-2 mins then finally
> > get
> > to the log on screen??????? help
> > --
> > thanks
> > stu8975

I'm having the same problem with my usb hd, I've
unplugged all other usb devices I can execpt my mouse and
keyboard and still happens I've tried the suggestions
below and no luck, anyone else have any suggestions?

its annoying aint it?...do you have very slow start up when you turn your pc
on? like takin 5 mins to get to the log on screen?

"angeloabba" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem with my usb hd, I've
> unplugged all other usb devices I can execpt my mouse and
> keyboard and still happens I've tried the suggestions
> below and no luck, anyone else have any suggestions?

Here is what I would like you to try. Unplug your USB Devices (Except
mouse and keyboard), remove ALL of your USB devices and controllers
(under the USB section) from Device Manager (Start-Run-Devmgmt.msc).
Install the latest chipset (motherboard) drivers for your computer. If
you have a difficulty finding them or finding out what motherboard you
have, use Everest Home from www.lavalys.com . It should provide a link
to your drivers under the chipset section too. After installing these,
reboot. Now before plugging in your devices, we are going to remove the
old keys for them. This may be something you are uncomfortable with, if
that is the case, just try plugging the devices back in.

This part is for removing the history of your USB devices. Open the
Registry Editior (Start-Run-regedit), navigate to this folder:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB

Now expand each of these Vid_Xxxx folders and look for the ones
containing information about your USB devices that are not working.
Once you find them, right click on the folder starting with Vid_Xxxx
that contains information about them in it and delete the folder. After
removing all of the folders that contain information about devices that
you are experiencing problems with, reboot, then plug the devices back in.

----
Nathan McNulty

stu8975 wrote:
> its annoying aint it?...do you have very slow start up when you turn your pc
> on? like takin 5 mins to get to the log on screen?
>
> "angeloabba" wrote:
>

>>I'm having the same problem with my usb hd, I've
>>unplugged all other usb devices I can execpt my mouse and
>>keyboard and still happens I've tried the suggestions
>>below and no luck, anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanx Nathan
I'll give it a try and update everyone. Thanks for the
suggestion. Here goes........

Angelo

angelo

Well as much as I would like to have come on here and say
it worked it didn't. I still have the same problem and
same error. I'm stumped I don't know what else to do...

Thanx for your suggestion Nathan

i figured out what is causing my prob..i have a printer (epson r300) which
has a build in card reader which is classed as having removable
storage...what usb devices do you have connected? install them one by one
then watch the in the bottom right corner ( add hardware symbol),it will show
which one is causing the prob..well thats how i discovered out which device
it was..
good luck

"Angelo" wrote:

> Well as much as I would like to have come on here and say
> it worked it didn't. I still have the same problem and
> same error. I'm stumped I don't know what else to do...
>
> Thanx for your suggestion Nathan

Just an update, I got it woking. This will probably sound stupid but I
emailed Swann support and all I had to do was set the jumper on the drive as
a master. I didn't even think of doing that. Well as soon as I did that bingo
it worked.

Thank you to all for the support.

Cheers
Angelo

"stu8975" wrote:

> i figured out what is causing my prob..i have a printer (epson r300) which
> has a build in card reader which is classed as having removable
> storage...what usb devices do you have connected? install them one by one
> then watch the in the bottom right corner ( add hardware symbol),it will show
> which one is causing the prob..well thats how i discovered out which device
> it was..
> good luck
>
> "Angelo" wrote:
>

> > Well as much as I would like to have come on here and say
> > it worked it didn't. I still have the same problem and
> > same error. I'm stumped I don't know what else to do...
> >
> > Thanx for your suggestion Nathan

Hi, how do you set the jumper ?

"angeloabba" wrote:

> Just an update, I got it woking. This will probably sound stupid but I
> emailed Swann support and all I had to do was set the jumper on the drive as
> a master. I didn't even think of doing that. Well as soon as I did that bingo
> it worked.
>
> Thank you to all for the support.
>
> Cheers
> Angelo
>
> "stu8975" wrote:
>
> > i figured out what is causing my prob..i have a printer (epson r300) which
> > has a build in card reader which is classed as having removable
> > storage...what usb devices do you have connected? install them one by one
> > then watch the in the bottom right corner ( add hardware symbol),it will show
> > which one is causing the prob..well thats how i discovered out which device
> > it was..
> > good luck
> >
> > "Angelo" wrote:
> >

> > > Well as much as I would like to have come on here and say
> > > it worked it didn't. I still have the same problem and
> > > same error. I'm stumped I don't know what else to do...
> > >
> > > Thanx for your suggestion Nathan

One the drive inside of the external casing, you set the jumper with the
little peice of plastic on the pins in the back of the drive. There
should be a label or image on the drive that shows what pins need to be
connected to make the drive Master, Slave, or Cable Select.

----
Nathan McNulty

bailey wrote:
> Hi, how do you set the jumper ?
>
> "angeloabba" wrote:
>

>>Just an update, I got it woking. This will probably sound stupid but I
>>emailed Swann support and all I had to do was set the jumper on the drive as
>>a master. I didn't even think of doing that. Well as soon as I did that bingo
>>it worked.
>>
>>Thank you to all for the support.
>>
>>Cheers
>>Angelo
>>
>>"stu8975" wrote:
>>

>>>i figured out what is causing my prob..i have a printer (epson r300) which
>>>has a build in card reader which is classed as having removable
>>>storage...what usb devices do you have connected? install them one by one
>>>then watch the in the bottom right corner ( add hardware symbol),it will show
>>>which one is causing the prob..well thats how i discovered out which device
>>>it was..
>>>good luck

I am having same problem as originally described by
stu8975 .Tried all of the methods describe by Nathan but
couldn't delete any files in Vid_xxx.Kept getting key
error message.Also for some strange reason I can't
recieve the rest of the pull down files from forum after
angeloabba Sept222004 5:59A.M.I also tried downloading
driver files from OEM nothing seems to fix

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message

Thanks Nathan,
Your idea completely fixed my USB problem with my CF card reader.
There were three entries for Sandisk Imagemates and I removed them all and
re booted
and then plugged in the latest Sandisk reader and all has been well for over
a week.

GREAT, and many thanks. This problem was plaguing me ever since I upgraded
to SP2.

david

"TRIED EVERYTHING" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having same problem as originally described by
> stu8975 .Tried all of the methods describe by Nathan but
> couldn't delete any files in Vid_xxx.

I had same problem. The folders would not delete.
I right clicked and got into properties and set the permissions so I had
control.
Then they deleted fine. Once those folders were gone, everything worked .

Glad to hear we got it working :)

Thanks for the follow up.

----
Nathan McNulty

nosmo wrote:
> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>
> Thanks Nathan,
> Your idea completely fixed my USB problem with my CF card reader.
> There were three entries for Sandisk Imagemates and I removed them all and
> re booted
> and then plugged in the latest Sandisk reader and all has been well for over
> a week.
>
> GREAT, and many thanks. This problem was plaguing me ever since I upgraded
> to SP2.
>
> david

That is exactly what you need to do. Sorry I forgot to mention that.
Some devices protect themselves while others don't.

----
Nathan McNulty

nosmo wrote:
> "TRIED EVERYTHING" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I am having same problem as originally described by
>>stu8975 .Tried all of the methods describe by Nathan but
>>couldn't delete any files in Vid_xxx.
>

> I had same problem. The folders would not delete.
> I right clicked and got into properties and set the permissions so I had
> control.
> Then they deleted fine. Once those folders were gone, everything worked .

what i did was open up the usb enclosure and i noticed that my hard drive was
not connected securely....as soon as I made sure it was secure....i turned it
on and it worked just fine....hope that helps for any of you.