[SOLVED] USB 3.0 ports not working for some reason ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer23

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
None of my usb 3.0 ports are working, they used to work some time ago but now they don't and only my usb 2.0 ports work. this is for my front and back usb ports on my pc.
Specs
is a prebuilt optiplex 9010 mt (the biggest version)
windows 10 pro
i7 3770
16gb ddr3
dell om9kcm motherboard.
all wires are in place
also i just did a windows 10 install and before the usb 3.0 worked now not.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

computer23

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.
i have updated the thread

computer23

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
Run the built-in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise run "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs
I tried the sfc scan now and it fixed some corrupt files but usb 3.0 still doesn't work, for the other command the website for it doesn't work could you fix the URL please

also the ports give power but do not transfer data and when i plug a device into the usb 3.0 port and turn the computer on, nothing loads and it is stuck on the dell logo is it a hardware problem by any chance?
Perfectly normal if the drivers are either not installed or are not functioning. BIOS does a check on all attached devices (USB included) looking for bootable media. This can take a while as the checks timeout on non responding media. As stated up thread, you need to be installing the proper USB 3.0 drivers (they come with the chipset drivers). The generic drivers supplied by Windows should work, but this is not always guaranteed.

computer23

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
Perfectly normal if the drivers are either not installed or are not functioning. BIOS does a check on all attached devices (USB included) looking for bootable media. This can take a while as the checks timeout on non responding media. As stated up thread, you need to be installing the proper USB 3.0 drivers (they come with the chipset drivers). The generic drivers supplied by Windows should work, but this is not always guaranteed.
Basically I searched up online how to fix this problem and it tells me to uninstall all my usb drivers and I did that and rebooted as it says the drivers will reinstall automatically but they didn’t so now I can’t use my pc as the all the USB ports don’t work at all now and I have no idea how to reinstall the drivers without a mouse and keyboard.

computer23

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
Did you follow the instructions that came with your PC for restoring the factory image? That's the first place to go. If you have, for some reason, removed the factory partition then look below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

Follow the instructions exactly as layed out. This works.
the usb drive has an error but I don't know how to fix it, and when I run chkdsk on it it says it is in raw format and raw is not supported and I don't know what that means

Status
Not open for further replies.