Question USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2019
Hello,
I just don't know where to start. I'm trying to fix this issue for a week now and can't figure it out.
My USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller is missing from my device manager list. It's hidden when i got no usb flash connected to it. As soon as i connect something to the port, it wakes up and it works fine.
The problem is that i work with audio software, and everytime something is connected or disconnected from my type-c thunderbolt ports, i get a huge latency spike and my soundcard stops the playback. Even if i connect the power adapter to a usb type-c port it causes a latency spike.
I tried everything:
- Disabled the "allow the computer t turn off this device to save power" in device manager
- Changed the power settings in control panel not to suspend USB
- Tried to install some moded drivers
- Tried High performance mode
- Tried other editions of Windows 10. on 1809 doesent even wake the devices until i "scan for hardware changes"

I have to mention that the standard USB 3.0 Type-A port on my HP spectre x360 (2017) works just fine and it is shown in device manager all the time.
I tested this also on hp elitebook, and the USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller works this way also. So it must be a OS thing.
Can anyone help me with this issue? I'm losing my mind here. Is this the way windows is handling usb type-c thunderbolt ports? And is there someway i can change this behavior?

Thank you. :)

May 14, 2019
Thank you for your answer,
I tried that already, and i tried it again now...no luck.
I somehow get the feeling that it's a problem in some kind of deep hidden power option, or a bios problem. I am on a newest bios version now. Maybe a downgrade would do he trick.
I'm really going insane on this issue. :/

edit: i just did a hardware diganostics before the system starts, and it report an error on the type-c. It's strange since tha ports do work when something is connected to them.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i have seen a few people recently with problems associated with ush extensible host controller so it might also be a windows update that caused it, and might be fixed by another one later on.

the drivers are built into windows so not a lot you can do about it your end. besides update windows 10 - 1903 is due out this week, it's not on the iso website yet but was meant to be out mid month.

who makes the drivers? does the HP have asmedia chipset onboard?

anything in event viewer about it? any error codes?

May 14, 2019
I tried most of windows 10 versions, one problem (where the controller is hidden) is happening on v1507 and until v1803. The other problem (where it wont even wake up until i "scan for hardware changes"), happens on 1809 and i even on 1903 (i found an unofficial iso of that version).
The driver povider is Microsoft, and when in hidden mode in device status it says "Currently, this hardware device is not conected to eh computer (Code 45). To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer".
But when i connect an USB flash and the controller is on it says "the device is working properly".
It's like it's some kind of software switch that makes my Host controller looking like it's not physically connected...if that makes sense.
As for Event viewer, i really dont have too much experience in it and dont know what to look for. :/

Colif

Win 11 Master
found your question on hp website... that doesn't help me but they might have a solution

It seems chronic in that its been a problem on all versions of windows 10, the hidden thing might be normal but shouldn't have to scan for devices to find them, so something has gone wrong starting November last year.

seems it uses intel hardware (microsoft relabelled the drivers) but that doesn't help really as INtel don't supply drivers for it directly. I can't see it on the microsoft download catalog, it just offers asmedia instead (cause I was searching for them a few days ago)

Intel released new drivers recently in April, I can find a reference to them on a dell website but as they for specific models, im not going to link here. Probably not a good idea. May mean HP might get them too.

search cortana for reliability history and see if any red X showing there, it might be an easier direction to approach from compared to event viewer. Event viewer would likely panic you as even on a perfectly good system it shows lots of errors... most of which can be ignored.

May 14, 2019
The scan for hardware change doesent bother me that much, its the latency spike that freezes my audio while djing when connecthing anything to my type-c port, even the power cord.
It's strange to me that not many people complain about this issue. Probably because you cant notice it if not heavy dependant on the computer latency.

ntel released new drivers recently in April, I can find a reference to them on a dell website but as they for specific models
Yeah, i noticed thoose drivers, i gave them a try...still no results. Maybe ill dig a bit deeper in thoose drivers.

I'm taking a look into reliability monitor, and i dont see any entries when i connect my usb flash.

May 14, 2019
I thought so too, but i needed some kind of confirmation that someone else s having this issue too.
Or maybe someone has found a workaround.Ill try to downgrade the bios, and if all fails ill end up buying a usb type c hub and keep it plugged in all the time.
Thank you very much for your time and effort. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.