[SOLVED] USB 3.2 Gen 1 Header not compatible with case?

Dec 27, 2021
PC Part Picker states "
  • Note:Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port, but the Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port will not be usable.

"
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WM6LVc

To my understanding one header should allow 2 usb ports but this motherboard Gigabyte-Z690-GAMING-X-DDR4 throws this incompatibility issue up on Pc Part Picker.

Does this issue actually exist or is it a problem on PcPartPicker?

Solution
The case, as described be partpicker, has one USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port and one USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A port. The mobo has USB Type-C® header, with USB 3.2 Gen 2 support and USB 3.2 Gen 1 header. To my understanding you can connect Type-C header to Type-C port and Type A header to Type A port and have all ports on case functional.

This means the mobo has a higher version and speed than the type c on the case. The motherboard type c port header (called a type E header, definitely not confusing eh!) Can handle gen 2, but the lead from the front panel probably won't allow more than gen 1, it's throttled to case speed.

Any "regular" usb 3 Gen X headers on a motherboard CAN split to 2 full speed ports, but what dragor means is...
The case, as described be partpicker, has one USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port and one USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A port. The mobo has USB Type-C® header, with USB 3.2 Gen 2 support and USB 3.2 Gen 1 header. To my understanding you can connect Type-C header to Type-C port and Type A header to Type A port and have all ports on case functional.

Dec 27, 2021
So although pc part picker shows it up as an issue. They can still be plugged in, but will the type a port run at its advertised speeds? (As the mb and case have different headers).

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015

This means the mobo has a higher version and speed than the type c on the case. The motherboard type c port header (called a type E header, definitely not confusing eh!) Can handle gen 2, but the lead from the front panel probably won't allow more than gen 1, it's throttled to case speed.

Any "regular" usb 3 Gen X headers on a motherboard CAN split to 2 full speed ports, but what dragor means is that the case manufacturer may have 2 SEPARATE connectors, which might use a header each, in which case you need 3.

1 "type E"
2 usb 3.x

Although your board has 1 of each

Solution

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
So although pc part picker shows it up as an issue. They can still be plugged in, but will the type a port run at its advertised speeds? (As the mb and case have different headers).

Update, checked the board and case front panel specs, I would assume the front panel to only need to use the 2 headers you have plus one of the board's usb 2 for audio, it should be fine. But on the other hand some less than great cases can sometimes require multiple 3.x headers, so it is good to check.

That's assuming partpicker description of this case is correct. I did not checked the manufacturer's site to verify it.
As for speeds, Type A port will run at full speed. For type C, I'm not sure. Those versions are confusing as hell. In any case though, if the speeds allowed are different for case and header, it will run at slower of the two.