[SOLVED] USB DAC/Pre-Amp for Gaming Headset?

Oct 24, 2019
I have the Sennheiser GAME ONE headset and love it - it produces great sound quality in my calls and games. I'm looking for a DAC or Pre-amp that works for this use - the mic out functionality is mandatory. Inputs are 3.5mm.

Right now I have to switch the headset between my Macbook Pro for work and my desktop PC (Win10) for not-work. It's tedious but I'm more concerned about the wear-and-tear on the headset more than anything.

I tried a Sabrent 3.5mm -> USB connector plugged into my Ugreen USB switch (sharing some peripherals between the two computers). It didn't work (mic or audio) and from one of the Amazon reviews, it sounds like it's something to do with the headset's power requirements.

So here I am - hoping I can find some way to connect my headset via USB to two computers and switch between them. Improving sound quality or microphone output is a plus, too.

Thanks!

Solution
D

the mic is fantastic quality too, works with PCs and Consoles.

I am a Schiit Audio guy normally, but I do love that ARC

https://www.themasterswitch.com/review-mayflower-arc

"We’ll say this for the Mayflower Electronics ARC: it’s definitely designed by gamers. That’s because its name stands for Aural Resonance Cascade, a nifty in-joke that only players of the Half Life series will understand (oh, well, if we must: a resonance cascade is the quantum event that kicks off the game’s alien invasion, opening a portal to the Xen dimension). However, it’s a joke that falls just a little bit short. The Half Life cascade was cataclysmic; the Mayflower one is a little bit more pedestrian."
D

Deleted member 14196

"We’ll say this for the Mayflower Electronics ARC: it’s definitely designed by gamers. That’s because its name stands for Aural Resonance Cascade, a nifty in-joke that only players of the Half Life series will understand (oh, well, if we must: a resonance cascade is the quantum event that kicks off the game’s alien invasion, opening a portal to the Xen dimension). However, it’s a joke that falls just a little bit short. The Half Life cascade was cataclysmic; the Mayflower one is a little bit more pedestrian."

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Oct 24, 2019

I saw a review on Amazon for the Sennheiser GSX 1000 (linked from the article you noted) mentioned that their ARC didn't play nice with a USB switch. Can you speak at all to its performance on a simple USB switch?

Thank you!

D

Deleted member 14196

i use mine on a usb hub and it's fine. I use Pluggable brand powered hubs. if you want the gsx, get that or whatever you desire though.

if you want both comuter to control it though, that may be another issue depending upon the machine that is currently talking to it. i only ever use DACs on my pc

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS