[SOLVED] USB device over current status - PSU or MOBO?

dantheman0809

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
Hello,

I've gotten the following error message when I boot my PC up, even before getting to the BIOS screen:
"usb device over current status detected. Your pc will shut down in 15 seconds to prevent mainboard damage!"

I have had this computer since ~2015, and have been upgrading the parts since then (the 6700k in 2016, gtx 1080 in 2019, etc.).

I looked over multiple threads to find a solution, have thoroughly checked and disconnected every connected device, peered over the motherboard completely, and have not found any obvious errors on the motherboard pins, usb ports, etc. I have also checked the connection to the case standoffs and looked for loose screws, etc, so I don't think it is shorting in that way. At this point, I am guessing that either the motherboard or the PSU is failing. Is there a good way to determine if the MOBO or PSU is failing, or am I missing something?

My PC specs are listed in the signature below. Thanks for your advice.

Solution
usually this error ocurs when a USB hub is overloaded with devices that it can't provide power to.
i'va also had this issue occur when using certain cables.

i have an old USB Blu-ray drive that has a USB 2.0 cable that offers two additional passthrough USB connectors.
if i use this cable connected to any motherboard i also get this error.
using a regular single passthrough USB cable works fine with it though.

if nothing has changed directly before this error started occurring and you have no USB hub connected i would guess it is either a failing port, a failing device, or a cable gone bad.
usually this error ocurs when a USB hub is overloaded with devices that it can't provide power to.

i have an old USB Blu-ray drive that has a USB 2.0 cable that offers two additional passthrough USB connectors.

if nothing has changed directly before this error started occurring and you have no USB hub connected i would guess it is either a failing port, a failing device, or a cable gone bad.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
At this point, I am guessing that either the motherboard or the PSU is failing. Is there a good way to determine if the MOBO or PSU is failing, or am I missing something?
If the PSU was going bad so bad that it causes USB over-current issues on the motherboard, I doubt the motherboard would be able to boot far enough to let you know.

My best bet would be that you still have a defective device plugged in even when everything you can unplug including keyboard and mouse is already unplugged, could possibly be a defective on-board device.

Another possibility would be that the motherboard has a failed poly-fuse or e-fuse which the board mistakenly reads as an over-current fault.

dantheman0809

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015

This occurred seemingly randomly, I had not changed anything with the computer so I do agree with you that it may be a failing port or cable. I have narrowed out devices, since i detached them all and tried to boot with no luck. Thanks

dantheman0809

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
If the PSU was going bad so bad that it causes USB over-current issues on the motherboard, I doubt the motherboard would be able to boot far enough to let you know.

My best bet would be that you still have a defective device plugged in even when everything you can unplug including keyboard and mouse is already unplugged, could possibly be a defective on-board device.

Another possibility would be that the motherboard has a failed poly-fuse or e-fuse which the board mistakenly reads as an over-current fault.

I think you are right. I have already checked every nook and cranny of the usb ports and looked for any visible pin bends/damage so it is possibly the fuse error you described or an onboard device. Thanks. Will prob order a new motherboard/cpu if i can't find anything else

TRENDING THREADS