[SOLVED] Usb Flash Drive Write protected error

Sep 15, 2019
Hello ,I have a kingston datatraveler 100 g3 usb flash drive that everytime i try to copy files it says : disk write protected.I searched for a while and found several solutions that didn't work..

Here is just a short list of the methods that have NOT worked...

1. windows format

2. going to regedit and changing write protect to 0 (Didn't have a "Storage Device Policies" folder and i created one but still doesn't work)

3. using disk management to delete and recreate the partition

4. using cmd prompt

5. using kingston format utility

6. restarting computer using boot options screen to use cmd prompt

7. using phison format and restore tool (gives error)

Below is an image of some of my flash drive's info
Any help is appreciated, Thank you for your time

Last edited:
Solution
Try using Testdisk , from csecurity, to 'Delete all data in partition table'
But being 4 yrs old, it may be 'all used up' and the controller inside it has locked the drive. or the drive has a physical issue. Either case though means buying a new one.
Sep 15, 2019
What goes the device s.m.a.r.t. data says?

The software Crystaldiskinfo should be able to retreive that.

Downloaded Crystaldiskinfo but for some reason the usb flash drive isn't listed in disks

What size is it and how long have you had it?
It might be all used up since flash memory has a limited amount of write cycles.
or it might just not be worth the hassle if it's small and a replacement is only $5

I have this drive since august 2015 and its 64GB back then i got it for around 25$.I don't have anything important in it, i would like just to use it again if possible.

popatim

Titan
Try using Testdisk , from csecurity, to 'Delete all data in partition table'
But being 4 yrs old, it may be 'all used up' and the controller inside it has locked the drive. or the drive has a physical issue. Either case though means buying a new one.

Solution