[SOLVED] Usb mouse/keyboard won't work after new mobo and cpu

Jul 14, 2020
So I've installed my new motherboard and cpu (gigabyte x570 gaming, ryzen 3600), which went without a hitch for the most part. I'm able to use my mouse/keyboard in bios no problem, but as soon as I exit and load windows, both fail to light up and provide no input. I tried a regular Microsoft keyboard thinking it was a driver issue, as well as messing around with bios usb settings as pretty much every YouTube video has shown me. So far no luck. any help appreciated!!

Solution
And you do not have any record of the Windows 7 product key? There ARE ways to get it from your drive that is not currently booting, but it would require the use of a second machine.

Also, just FYI, anytime you change platforms, like swapping out to a motherboard that uses a different chipset than what you currently have, it is a VERY GOOD idea to do a clean install. In fact, more often than not, it's absolutely required because Windows simply will not boot or will boot but has nothing but problems because there are simply too many discrepancies in the registry entries related to drivers for the storage controller(s), USB controllers, chipset, etc.

Probably would have been advisable to have upgraded to Windows 10, which you CAN still...
What was your previous motherboard and CPU?

Did you do a CLEAN install of Windows after upgrading to a new platform?

What Windows VERSION are you running, and if you are running Windows 10, what BUILD version of Windows 10 are you on? (Start menu--->Search or Run---->Type Winver then hit enter)

Jul 14, 2020
What was your previous motherboard and CPU?

Did you do a CLEAN install of Windows after upgrading to a new platform?

What Windows VERSION are you running, and if you are running Windows 10, what BUILD version of Windows 10 are you on? (Start menu--->Search or Run---->Type Winver then hit enter)
Previous mobo was an Asus z97e with an i5 4670k (pretty dated) currently running Windows 7 home professional, did not do a clean install. Realistically a new copy of windows is necessary, but I can't access my product code without getting into my PC, so doable but not ideal.

And you do not have any record of the Windows 7 product key? There ARE ways to get it from your drive that is not currently booting, but it would require the use of a second machine.

Also, just FYI, anytime you change platforms, like swapping out to a motherboard that uses a different chipset than what you currently have, it is a VERY GOOD idea to do a clean install. In fact, more often than not, it's absolutely required because Windows simply will not boot or will boot but has nothing but problems because there are simply too many discrepancies in the registry entries related to drivers for the storage controller(s), USB controllers, chipset, etc.

Probably would have been advisable to have upgraded to Windows 10, which you CAN still do, for free, before changing out the hardware. Then, attaching that digital entitlement to a microsoft account in your name, so that after changing the hardware you don't have to do anything special to activate Windows again for the new installation other than log into your Microsoft account during the installation. Then, after the initial change of activation to the new board, you wouldn't ever have to worry about that again for any occasion where you needed to reinstall Windows on that system OR for future upgrades (IF you again, use your MS account during the installation).

But, that's not particularly helpful in the immediate situation. For future reference though, it might be good to familiarize yourself with these, if you are not already.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS