Question USB Mouse not working (device descriptor request failed)

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
I have recently been hit with a painful issue where my Zowie FK2 (mouse) stopped working after I hit 'hibernate' on my computer. It has happened three times now, the first 2 times I was somehow able to fix it by trying all sorts of different fixes but I accidentally hit hibernate again recently and it refuses to work no matter what I do. I have tried everything from driver uninstalling to registry edits and power offs, and have tried literally every fix I can find on google with no luck.

The mouse has been working perfectly fine and I managed to fix the issue twice before. Note: it also doesn't work on any other computer, but this happened the past few times and was still fixable, however this time it just doesn't want to work.

It's a plug-and-play mouse, and I was also wondering if it is possible that somehow the plug-and-play drivers on the mouse have somehow become corrupted and is permanently broken?

Further note: when I plug the mouse in, the dpi light on the bottom (for quick dpi change) quickly flashes but doesn't stay lit, suggesting the mouse still powers up but fails to be recognised.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to whether this issue is fixable or if it sounds like somehow my mouse has become corrupted.

If it doesn't work on any other computer, than you are just postponing the inevitable; time for a new mouse. The only thing I would suggest is to go to the Bluetooth settings, if you see your mouse remove it and then click on Add Bluetooth or other device. If your mouse shows up click on it and let windows re-install it.

Last edited:

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
Not a Bluetooth mouse by the way, but I have done the equivalent of removing HID compliant device and the 'unknown device' drivers and reinstalling. The fact that it is still showing up in the device manager gives me hope that it is still working to some degree.
I've ordered a replacement mouse cable as a last effort before I go replacing it. Opening the mouse up I couldn't see any faulty or broken connections and the PCB looked fine to me, so there is a chance that it could be a cable issue.

It does not have to be a Bluetooth mouse, the name of the utility is Bluetooth and other devices (in your case emphasis on other devices. Pretty much every device you have, including your keyboard (wired or wireless), monitor, mouse (wired or wireless), UPS should be there.