geoiii

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
If I get a USB sound card will I disable onboard sound and still plug my speakers into back panel and will my Bluetooth headphones work?

Solution
The Asrock B450m pro4 r2.0 comes with Realtek alc892. There is no current linux support. The only stuff is for older kernels.
I did find some info this morning about Alsa drivers. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure. I installed stuff, got a few errors but nothing bad happened. I am trying to recreate the problem, static, with the same music I was playing yesterday and maybe it's fixed
InvalidError is correct in regards to the need to make a driver for every codec being irrelevant. Does it do it (I am assuming static) when you try to play other types of audio or just when you play music? What if you try it in a different program?
If I get a USB sound card will I disable onboard sound and still plug my speakers into back panel and will my Bluetooth headphones work?
No, it will not disable anything. You'll just have to tell your system which sound device to use if you want to switch over. If you're on Windows 10, opening the volume slider will show you a drop-down above the slider of the devices you can switch to.

geoiii

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
No, it will not disable anything. You'll just have to tell your system which sound device to use if you want to switch over. If you're on Windows 10, opening the volume slider will show you a drop-down above the slider of the devices you can switch to.
I want to switch because my onboard doesn't play well with Ubuntu. If I do disable onboard sound in bios then OS, Ubuntu Or Windows, I use both, should just use the new. Right? And everything will work as usual?

InvalidError

Titan
Bluetooth does not use sound card, audio over Bluetooth is just an encapsulated protocol over the BT wireless driver stack, same goes for USB audio.

Depending on the nature of your audio issues, switching to USB may not help. In principle, on-board audio should be the least problematic since AC97/HDA are heavily standardized. You shouldn't be having any issues with it unless the hardware is defective or the software/driver stack got messed up.

It's also going to be dependent on if the USB sound option you are looking at has current drivers for Ubuntu or if drivers need to be created for it. You can usually fix audio issues in Ubuntu by simply getting the manufacturer provided audio driver stack for whatever is on your motherboard and it will remedy any issues. You mentioned that your onboard audio doesn't play well with Ubuntu? What type of onboard audio is on your system?

geoiii

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
It's also going to be dependent on if the USB sound option you are looking at has current drivers for Ubuntu or if drivers need to be created for it. You can usually fix audio issues in Ubuntu by simply getting the manufacturer provided audio driver stack for whatever is on your motherboard and it will remedy any issues. You mentioned that your onboard audio doesn't play well with Ubuntu? What type of onboard audio is on your system?
The Asrock B450m pro4 r2.0 comes with Realtek alc892. There is no current linux support. The only stuff is for older kernels.
I did find some info this morning about Alsa drivers. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure. I installed stuff, got a few errors but nothing bad happened. I am trying to recreate the problem, static, with the same music I was playing yesterday and maybe it's fixed

InvalidError

Titan
AC97 and HDA do not require chip-specific drivers to operate since all of the essential functionality and register definitions are baked into the spec and therefore the same for all models across all vendors. That is why nobody is bothering to tweak AC97 and HDA drivers for every chip in existence, one good generic driver can run all of the standard-compliant C ODECs.

InvalidError is correct in regards to the need to make a driver for every codec being irrelevant. Does it do it (I am assuming static) when you try to play other types of audio or just when you play music? What if you try it in a different program?

Solution

geoiii

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
It seemed the static came when certain notes where hit. After it corrected itself I could make it happen again same place in certain songs. The alsa drivers fixed it.

Last edited: