Question USB Type-C Microphonics cable

broshm

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Hi all,

About to buy a new wired gaming headset, but all the reviews report that the original cable makes a lot of cable noise - microphonics.
What should the new cable be made of?
Do I need the speed of type-c 3.1 gen2 ?

• I'm lost here, recommendations?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all,

About to buy a new wired gaming headset, but all the reviews report that the original cable makes a lot of cable noise - microphonics.
What should the new cable be made of?
Do I need the speed of type-c 3.1 gen2 ?

• I'm lost here, recommendations?
Thanks!

No idea what the new cable would be made of since you did not say what headset the reviews were about, especially if there is some "original" and a newer cable.

USB 2 is fine for a headset.

Reactions: broshm

broshm

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
No idea what the new cable would be made of since you did not say what headset the reviews were about, especially if there is some "original" and a newer cable.

USB 2 is fine for a headset.

Sorry about that, the headset is the Creative SXFI Gamer.
Creative themselves answered me saying USB 2.0 is enough and just to make sure that if I get a cable length that exceeds 2m, it's advisable that the wire gauge is AWG 18 or lower.

The cable is wrapped in braided nylon, from the website:

Enhance your gameplay with SXFI GAMER's high-speed Kevlar USB data cable that is capable of managing high bandwidth and driving the headset to its maximum audio potential. Meticulously crafted and engineered, the cable is made of Kevlar-reinforced copper to give it strength without adding bulkiness. It is also wrapped in an aluminum and copper shield for durability, and finally in nylon braid to achieve maximum flexibility. The result is exceptional tensile strength while maintaining its ultra-lightweight build for maximum comfort.

Sorry about that, the headset is the Creative SXFI Gamer.
Creative themselves answered me saying USB 2.0 is enough and just to make sure that if I get a cable length that exceeds 2m, it's advisable that the wire gauge is AWG 18 or lower.

The cable is wrapped in braided nylon, from the website:

That cable does not sound like it will be poor quality, I never tried that headset so can't say for sure what the cable is like or if it's noisy.

Reactions: broshm

broshm

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
I got the headphones just a few days ago, cable noise does seem pretty substantial however on I don't think that I would even notice it while gaming.
Would need to play some more to make up my mind.

On a more technical note, I messaged Creative this this and they replied with a pretty detailed answer:

"We would like to inform you that the cable only needs to be USB 2.0 high speed compliant and does not need to be USB 3.1 Gen 2.
If your ideal cable length exceeds 2m, it's advisable that the wire gauge is AWG 18 or lower."