Question Use the desktop without the side panel , effect on cooling?

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
Hi , my pc (case+mobo) is xps 8490 tower dekstop
Cpu - i7 11700
Cpu cooler - Antec a400
. I have been running the pc without the side panel for months because by mistake , I bought a cpu cooler that is too high for the case to fully close (pictures for reference below) . Since the case is relatively small ..would this affect cooling by alot , causing demage to parts ? Could leaning the panel against the table wall and the pc against it help with the airflow ? (Right now , not interested in changing the cooler or building a whole new pc ) . Dust buildup is surprisingly slow... Would appreciate tips/advices

View: https://imgur.com/a/1ydz93G

If your temps are ok, and you're fine with cleaning out any dust that might build up just leave the side panel off.

your biggest concern would be any pets getting inside or liquid splashes or something falling into the case. but i have built many computers on open test bench cases and they were perfectly fine.

H01jcEk.png

F0Bqkhs.jpeg

v6qJ78U.jpeg

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
So... leaving the case open is fine as long as I clean the dust regularly ? When I game , I turn on the AC in the room as well as we are in summer time

You just have to be a little more careful with an open computer.

Not sure where you have it sitting, if its on the floor just make sure you not kick anything inside. If its on the desk just make sure you dont knock anything into the open case or splash any liquids. Just get a can of air duster and blow everything out.

My work computer is inside a Phanteks P400, you get really bad airflow in the front of the case. I took the side glass panel off years ago and around once a month take a duster can and blow the air cooler out.

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
You just have to be a little more careful with an open computer.

Not sure where you have it sitting, if its on the floor just make sure you not kick anything inside. If its on the desk just make sure you dont knock anything into the open case or splash any liquids. Just get a can of air duster and blow everything out.

My work computer is inside a Phanteks P400, you get really bad airflow in the front of the case. I took the side glass panel off years ago and around once a month take a duster can and blow the air cooler out.
My pc is just below the table ...like in the photos I've included

Now it's time for the other side of the conversation. There is a very good reason that that case cover exists. Running with the case open is simply asking for something bad to happen when you least expect (especially under a table). It's your own fault that you used a cooler that didn't fit, in a case not designed for "Hot Rodders".

Now it's time for the other side of the conversation. There is a very good reason that that case cover exists. Running with the case open is simply asking for something bad to happen when you least expect (especially under a table). It's your own fault that you used a cooler that didn't fit, in a case not designed for "Hot Rodders".
Well the case is a dell, which means you can not move the content to a standard ATX case. Hes doing the best with what he as to work with, and quite frankly there is no issue with what hes doing.

I have warned multiple times that he just needs to be careful

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
There is no actual danger at all for the pc where it stands ..the reason I don't want to change the cpu cooler is the headache of installation - most good coolers require you to install the screws I think at the rear side of the motherboard before going to the front - I can't access the rear . If my pc runs good and no big dust build up then I'm fine
Only want to know about the cooling and airflow aspect

Well the case is a dell, which means you can not move the content to a standard ATX case. Hes doing the best with what he as to work with, and quite frankly there is no issue with what hes doing.

I have warned multiple times that he just needs to be careful
And this is exactly what you get when you try to use an office machine for other than office applications. Those small Dells are most assuredly NOT for general home (gaming and such) use.

And this is exactly what you get when you try to use an office machine for other than office applications. Those small Dells are most assuredly NOT for general home (gaming and such) use.
Why couldnt you use that computer for gaming.

Its an i7 11700
a samsung 980 m.2
sata secondary
platter for storage
and a RTX gpu

Short of putting in a 120mm AIO just so you could put on the side, there is nothing wrong with those specs for gaming. Truthfully you probably could have gamed on the stock air cooler.

We have i7 14700 cpu's in our CAD computers rendering for hours on end at 100% load on stock dell coolers, and there is only one fan in the back of the case like his.

When we renewed all our computers at work years ago i grabbed 6 of our old computers and put together a lan room for all my friends to come over and play.

i5 2500
8GB ram
512Gb ssd
nvidia 670 gpus

We all had the same hardware and gamed perfectly fine for entire weekends.

The only downside to a Dell or any OEM computer is no overclocking and locked ram speed.

Why couldnt you use that computer for gaming.

Its an i7 11700
a samsung 980 m.2
sata secondary
platter for storage
and a RTX gpu

Short of putting in a 120mm AIO just so you could put on the side, there is nothing wrong with those specs for gaming. Truthfully you probably could have gamed on the stock air cooler.

We have i7 14700 cpu's in our CAD computers rendering for hours on end at 100% load on stock dell coolers, and there are only one fan in the back of the case like his.

When we renewed all our computers at work years ago i grabbed 6 of our old computers and put together a lan room for all my friends to come over and play.

i5 2500
8GB ram
512Gb ssd
nvidia 670 gpus

We all had the same hardware and gamed perfectly fine for entire weekends.

The only downside to a Dell or any OEM computer is no overclocking and locked ram speed.
Your sample of one is irrelevant here. Your advice (and the advice of others in this thread) run afoul of our "Do No Harm" directive by telling users that it's fine to run without the necessary case covers and such. Those things aren't there just to make the engineers feel good. And, an open case under a desk WILL eventually see a foot, screw, can or bottle of soda/water etc.

Your sample of one is irrelevant here. Your advice (and the advice of others in this thread) run afoul of our "Do No Harm" directive by telling users that it's fine to run without the necessary case covers and such. Those things aren't there just to make the engineers feel good. And, an open case under a desk WILL eventually see a foot, screw, can or bottle of soda/water etc.
Not sure if you looked at the pictures, but unless his foot is about an inch wide there is no way to get a foot in there, the open side of the case sits next to a solid surface.

2nd if you read any of my post i warned 3 times about possible damage or liquids being able to get inside.