Question Use wifi to transfer files while using wired for gaming

Xrodn34

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Is it possible to use both wireless and wired at once without changing up in setting (make it automatic) if u wondering why when i transfer files via WiFi is because wifi speed can go up to 350mb/s while my wired (Ethernet cat5) is only 100mb/s

Yes i know i could go buy cat 6 and be done but I rather not buying anything new

Couple of things:
1) You should be very sceptical about wifi speed claims. They ignore overheads and are essentially theoretical maximums under lab conditions. If you get a third of the published "up to" speed in the real-world over wifi you're doing very well.

2) Are you sure it's Cat5 cable and not Cat5e? It's been a long, long time since you can buy the non 'e' variant of Cat5. Cat5e is rated for a gigabit at up to 100m.

3) Even if it is ancient Cat5, it's still likely capable of running a gigabit. Have you got it plugged in to an ancient switch or router that's only 100mbps? Even a 30-50m run of old Cat5 would likely handle a gigibit.

Failing all of the above, you could configure the multiple network adaptors, but it requires messing with routing tables. It's not rocket science but you can make a mess of things so I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you're doing.

What's the actual problem you're trying to solve here? Have you got lag in games? File copies taking too long?

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
my ethernet is rated for 100mbps so it won't go more also 350 from label but it should be close as the router is next to my pc
Why not test it? Disconnect ethernet and connect to wifi and copy the file, see what sort of speed you get. Could also repeat the test with ethernet connected/wifi disconnected to see which is faster.

But really, as asked above, what is the issue you're trying to solve here?

Reactions: rhysiam
my ethernet is rated for 100mbps so it won't go more also 350 from label but it should be close as the router is next to my pc
It's possible your wifi might get be a little faster than 100mbps, but it won't get close to 350mbps, I can promise you that. My router says "up to 1700mbps", but I get ~150mbps when my laptop is sitting right next to it. @TJ Hooker 's suggestion is a good one. Why not test it out?

Can I just clarify... when you say, "my ethernet is rated for 100mbps", what do you mean? Are you referring to the cabling in the wall? The ports on your router? The network adaptor in your computer?

The reason we're asking you what you're trying to do here is because you're suggesting something that's relatively complicated. I'm having difficulty imagining a "problem" to which your proposed solution is the right way to approach it. If you give us a bit more information about what you're trying achieve then it's fairly likely we'll be able to propose some better solutions that could improve the network performance without having to resort to messing about with routing tables.