[SOLVED] Using 2 GPU's without SLI.

sharpieface

Reputable
Feb 20, 2018
Hello.
Recently I upgraded my GPU to GTX 1060 6GB (full specs below). Now I am looking for a new motherboard + CPU. Since I now have the older GPU (GTX 950) not used at all, I was wondering if it would be usefull to get a motherboard that can support 2 GPU's without SLI and would that give somekind of boost?

My idea is this:
Main
gaming monitor uses GTX 1060 6GB
Second
and third monitor uses GTX 950
Would this work? And if so, what MB+CPU should I look for?

Thank you.

My PC:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70 GHz
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB (Old GPU GeForce GTX 950)
RAM: 16 + 4 GB HyperX 2133
MB: AsusTek Comp.Inc. H110M-K (LGA1151)
PSU: Corsair CX500
Main monitor: BenQ xl2411
Second, third monitor: P2311H

Solution
Yes, it will work. You need a motherboard with 2 PCIe slots. So almost every motherboard will do. Your problem is not so much with the motherboard but with the power draw which would be greater using 2 cards, so you need a good PSU, thepossible driver conflicts between the 2 GPUs and ofcourse the temperatures inside the case which the airflow would be affected having less space and more heat.

Your PSU will struggle especially if it's green label and not grey label.

It will not benefit AT ALL though. 1060 is more than capable running all three monitors except if you want to game in more than 1 monitor.

If you absolutely want to have just 1 monitor on the 1060 for whatever reason, you can always use the integrated graphics from the CPU.
Yes, it will work. You need a motherboard with 2 PCIe slots. So almost every motherboard will do. Your problem is not so much with the motherboard but with the power draw which would be greater using 2 cards, so you need a good PSU, thepossible driver conflicts between the 2 GPUs and ofcourse the temperatures inside the case which the airflow would be affected having less space and more heat.

It will not benefit AT ALL though. 1060 is more than capable running all three monitors except if you want to game in more than 1 monitor.

If you absolutely want to have just 1 monitor on the 1060 for whatever reason, you can always use the integrated graphics from the CPU.

Solution

sharpieface

Reputable
Feb 20, 2018

Thank you for the reply.

Just to make myself sure you are saying that:

It it possible to run both of my GPU's on 1 MB, but I wont gain anything from it?
I though If I would have my gaming monitor to my 1060 and the 2nd and 3rd monitor to the 950, the performance would boost since the side monitors will use the 2nd GPU (discord, yotube etc. while gaming) and not the 1060.