Jun 20, 2020
So I ordered a Corsair RM750x PSU from amazon, but somehow I missed the fact that it was a EU unit while ordering. So because of this, it has a power plug with 2 large prongs that I can't even use. I have a power cable from an old crappy 400w pc (by Solytech) but my question is can I use that cable with the corsair psu? I was planning on sending the RM 750x back and getting a whole new psu with the right power cable but I'm not sure what I should do.

Thanks.

Solution
So I ordered a Corsair RM750x PSU from amazon, but somehow I missed the fact that it was a EU unit while ordering. So because of this, it has a power plug with 2 large prongs that I can't even use. I have a power cable from an old crappy 400w pc (by Solytech) but my question is can I use that cable with the corsair psu? I was planning on sending the RM 750x back and getting a whole new psu with the right power cable but I'm not sure what I should do.

Thanks.
You need to look at the input voltage and frequency allowed by the power supply. IF it is 90VAC to 250VAC with 50 or 60Hz, then you can swap the cord and use it in any country. If it has 50Hz only you can't use it in the US. If it is 240VAC only, then you need a...

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks.
You need to look at the input voltage and frequency allowed by the power supply. IF it is 90VAC to 250VAC with 50 or 60Hz, then you can swap the cord and use it in any country. If it has 50Hz only you can't use it in the US. If it is 240VAC only, then you need a transformer.
The power supply will tell you what is safe for input.

Solution
Jun 20, 2020
ok, so looking at the comparisons:

Corsair RM 750x-

AC Input: 100v - 240v
Input Current: 10A - 5A
Frequency: 47hz to 63hz

Solytech ATX 400w-

AC Input: 115v/230v-
Input Current: 8/4A
Frequency: 60/50hz

kanewolf

Titan
ok, so looking at the comparisons:

Corsair RM 750x-

AC Input: 100v - 240v
Input Current: 10A - 5A
Frequency: 47hz to 63hz

Solytech ATX 400w-

AC Input: 115v/230v-
Input Current: 8/4A
Frequency: 60/50hz
Both of those power supplies should be perfectly fine in the US. Just switch the input power cable on the Corsair. The Solytech you would have to manually select the input voltage. The Corsair, can just be plugged in. No setup required.

Jun 20, 2020
Ok cool, yeah I noticed the Solytech has a red switch set on 115 I believe, but the corsair doesnt have a red switch, so I figured it didnt need to do anything. Thanks for the help!

Thanks.

The wire gauge of that Solytech is probably not very large. Best to get a better power cord.

Should be 16g x 3. Rated at 13A/125V. Make sure it has UL and or cTÜVus.

Jun 20, 2020
Yeah. 18g is pretty small. Glad that it's UL at least. But the 16g or the 14g is going to be better (by better, I mean safer).
So my current gaming rig I use has a Corsair RM650x and the power cable that came with it is a 10A 125v 3x18AWG, only difference is it also says 1250w on the female side. Is that any different than the Solytech?

No. 18g is 18g. Period.

Only the 650W and lower Corsair PSUs come with an 18g x 3 cable. Not that it won't work with higher wattage PSUs, but if your load is higher than 650W, the cord may get hot.

It's kind of like speed ratings on tires. H tires are rated for 130 MPH. You're probably not going to drive that fast anywhere in the U.S., but V rated tires, rated at 149 MPH, will provide more reliability.

Jun 20, 2020
No. 18g is 18g. Period.

Only the 650W and lower Corsair PSUs come with an 18g x 3 cable. Not that it won't work with higher wattage PSUs, but if your load is higher than 650W, the cord may get hot.

It's kind of like speed ratings on tires. H tires are rated for 130 MPH. You're probably not going to drive that fast anywhere in the U.S., but V rated tires, rated at 149 MPH, will provide more reliability.
Ah, I gotcha. I will probably get the cord you linked then. I doubt the rig I'm building will go remotely close to 750w though. It is a rig specifically for a golf simulator that would be played on a projector screen along the wall. It has a zotac geforce 1070 mini 8gb, rog strix z390-E MOBO, 2 8gb ram sticks, and kraken m22 liquid cooler.

Ah, I gotcha. I will probably get the cord you linked then. I doubt the rig I'm building will go remotely close to 750w though. It is a rig specifically for a golf simulator that would be played on a projector screen along the wall. It has a zotac geforce 1070 mini 8gb, rog strix z390-E MOBO, 2 8gb ram sticks, and kraken m22 liquid cooler.

Haha.. Yeah. a 450W would power that machine. :D

Trivia: The Golden Tee machines are just PCs. Back in the day, they used BFG cards, but they ran too hot so they switched to XFX. :D

(I worked at BFG during the time they switched over the card they used)

Jun 20, 2020
Haha.. Yeah. a 450W would power that machine. :D

Trivia: The Golden Tee machines are just PCs. Back in the day, they used BFG cards, but they ran too hot so they switched to XFX. :D

(I worked at BFG during the time they switched over the card they used)
Oh nice, didnt know that haha. I appreciate the help! This is my 2nd pc that I'm building too but definitely learning some new stuff.