Question using a6150, i get "cant connect to this network" when trying to connect to a 5ghz network.

microsofth8r

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
i can connect to 2.4ghz networks without problems. my wireless mode is a/n/ac, as said in the user manual for my adapter. my wifi's mode is 802.11ac, but i can switch it to n. bandwidth is 20mhz+40mhz+80mhz auto(the only one). channel is 40. i tried changing the ssid. my other devices connect with no problem. Sometimes(and at the current moment) it wont even detect any 5ghz networks. i am using the drivers,i tried a reinstall with no success. netsh wlan show drivers shows that my adapter supports 5ghz indeed. however the interface is called wi-fi 2

Ralston18

Titan
Wireless adapter being the Netgear USB A6150 model - correct?

This:

"Sometimes(and at the current moment) it wont even detect any 5ghz networks."

Meaning that sometimes the computer is able to connect using 5 GHz?

Make and model router, make and model wireless adapter (if not the above mentioned Netgear USB adapter), how far away is the router, and what (walls, furniture, floors) are between the router and the problem computer?

My immediate suggestion is to obtain a USB extension cord. Plug the wireless USB adapter into the extension cord and the extension cord into the host computer.

The extension cord should permit you to raise the wireless USB adapter up and about. Away from the computer and to a position that will facilitate improved reception and transmission.

May only require a few feet to improve connectivity.

Also note if the adapter is getting overly warm or hot. Generally a sign that failure is occuring.

microsofth8r

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Wireless adapter being the Netgear USB A6150 model - correct?

This:

"Sometimes(and at the current moment) it wont even detect any 5ghz networks."

Meaning that sometimes the computer is able to connect using 5 GHz?

Make and model router, make and model wireless adapter (if not the above mentioned Netgear USB adapter), how far away is the router, and what (walls, furniture, floors) are between the router and the problem computer?

My immediate suggestion is to obtain a USB extension cord. Plug the wireless USB adapter into the extension cord and the extension cord into the host computer.

The extension cord should permit you to raise the wireless USB adapter up and about. Away from the computer and to a position that will facilitate improved reception and transmission.

May only require a few feet to improve connectivity.

Also note if the adapter is getting overly warm or hot. Generally a sign that failure is occuring.
let me clarify:
for the first 3 hours, the computer was able to connect itself to the 5ghz wifi. I, unhappy with the ping i used to get, changed to 2.4ghz and then back to 5ghz, and it stopped being able to detect 5ghz networks(it says "no wi-fi networks found"). I changed something (dont remember what) and it detected networks, but i got "cant connect to this network" while connecting. I left my computer to idle for 5 hours, and it is now detecting the network once again. I still cant connect though.
yes, i do use the adapter you said.
im around 6 meters away from the wifi, and there is only a glass door which is open most of the time. I dont think distance is a problem since when it worked, I used to get around 55 mbps, that is a lot more than the 3mbps i get with 2.4, and the high package loss and ping. Also i bought the adapter literally today
EDIT: forgot to add the router. it is made by sercomm, and is called smart modem by tim. i doubt you will come across documentation in english though.

Ralston18

Titan
Router links:

https://www.router-reset.com/default-password-ip-list/SerComm

https://www.192-168-1-1-ip.co/router/sercomm/ap51da/2973/

"by tim" - meaning Telecom India?

Translated link:

https://translate.google.com/transl.../come-entrare-nel-router-telecom/&prev=search

Check the router's labels for the applicable model number.

Windows 10?

Start by verifying that only the wireless Netgear adapter is enabled. Not both wireless and wired. Disable the wired adapter.

Then go to Netgear's website and downloading the applicable device drivers for that A6150 wireless network adapter.

I.e., new driver download, reinstall, and reconfigure.

Do that with the adapter on the USB extension cable.

If no success then run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" via the command prompt.

microsofth8r

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
i moved the adapter from a 3.1 port to a 3.0 one, and it worked. i dont know why, since it requires a 2.0 one, which i dont have. I have a 10% package loss, some ping spikes, and my download speed of 5 mbps, compared to the 50 i got when i first tested it. I'm gonna open another thread, since it looks like they are different problems.

Last edited: