Question Using Cooler Master ARGB Controller or Cooler Master ARGB A1 Gen2 Controller for other branded fans

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
I have a DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX L360 ARGB AIO which came with 3X CF120 fans(The ones without holo ring) and planning to get 3 more CF120 Plus fans(The ones with holo ring) will the lights in the pump and all these fans be controlled using Cooler Master MasterPlus Software if I purchase and use the Cooler Master ARGB Controller or Cooler Master ARGB Controller A1?

1. Found that the old Cooler Master ARGB Controller allows other branded AIO and fans to control lighting but no idea about individual LED and brightness.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cljgwkefa8

2. Found the new Cooler Master ARGB Controller A1 allows control of individual devices even if they are daisy chained(https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/addressable-gen-2-rgb-led-controller/) but not sure if it will work with other brands

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsEHuMADqS4

Will the old Cooler Master ARGB Controller will support brightness control and Individual LED control for other branded fans?

Will the new Cooler Master ARGB Controller A1 will support other brand fans(like the old one) and let us control everything(Individual LED control, brightness control and recognize multiple fans connected to a single port using a hub/splitter cable)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
As I understand this, the ability to have control individually of each LED lighting Node in an entire set of ARGB lights is a new feature added in the Gen 2 version of that lighting system. I believe this works only if BOTH the Controller and the lighting device are designed to this new version, but I'm not sure of that. So it is not the maker or brand of lights and fans; what is important is whether they are rated as the new Gen 2 version of ARGB lighting. If they are, you can mix makers in a system. I do not know yet whether any Splitter cables you use also need to be Gen 2 - I think not, but info on this is scarce.

Between those two Cooler Master ARGB Controllers, only the newer model A1 is Gen 2. If I read the illustrations of their software utility MasterPlus+ correctly, for each output port you get to specify whether the lights attached are Gen1 or Gen 2, and you MUST get this set correctly. The methods of control are different, so you can't mix Gen1 and Gen 2 devices on the same Controller port. But with that Controller and software, you CAN use the two types if they are grouped on separate ports because each port is configured separately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arun05

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
As I understand this, the ability to have control individually of each LED lighting Node in an entire set of ARGB lights is a new feature added in the Gen 2 version of that lighting system. I believe this works only if BOTH the Controller and the lighting device are designed to this new version, but I'm not sure of that. So it is not the maker or brand of lights and fans; what is important is whether they are rated as the new Gen 2 version of ARGB lighting. If they are, you can mix makers in a system. I do not know yet whether any Splitter cables you use also need to be Gen 2 - I think not, but info on this is scarce.

Between those two Cooler Master ARGB Controllers, only the newer model A1 is Gen 2. If I read the illustrations of their software utility MasterPlus+ correctly, for each output port you get to specify whether the lights attached are Gen1 or Gen 2, and you MUST get this set correctly. The methods of control are different, so you can't mix Gen1 and Gen 2 devices on the same Controller port. But with that Controller and software, you CAN use the two types if they are grouped on separate ports because each port is configured separately.
Any idea what devices are ARGB Gen2 i think only cooler master and ASUS are talking about ARGB Gen2

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think you're right. I cannot find other makers claiming to sell Gen 2 versions of any ARGB lighting devices. And I cannot find any clear explanations of how they are designed, and therefore of what components of a system need to be matched up. I'm guessing this is such new technology the originators have NO interest in explaining details.