[SOLVED] Using old Hard Drive and SSD

ImGeekster

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
I recently built a new computers and got a new SSD and Hard Drive. I have my old SSD which has windows on it. If I connect the SSD to my computer and make sure it's not first on the boot order, would everything work fine?
Thanks,
Geekster

Solution
Sorry I didn't give details, I currently have Windows 10 running on my new computer with the new SSD. I have a lot of files on my old one, I would just like to use the old SSD as storage for a while. Just making sure that the old one having windows on it wouldn't effect the new one with the current windows install. The old SSD is a SATA, while the new one is a M.2.
Thanks,
Geekster
Yes, that will work.
As always, only install the OS on the new drive in the system while it is the only thing connected. Connect the old drive later.

And a USB-SATA dock is especially helpful for things like this.

USAFRet

Titan
I recently built a new computers and got a new SSD and Hard Drive. I have my old SSD which has windows on it. If I connect the SSD to my computer and make sure it's not first on the boot order, would everything work fine?
Thanks,
Geekster
You're hoping the system simply boots up from the old drive and its OS?
Unlikely.

Details, of course, would help.
Old parts and new parts, what OS, etc, etc...

ImGeekster

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
You're hoping the system simply boots up from the old drive and its OS?
Unlikely.

Details, of course, would help.
Old parts and new parts, what OS, etc, etc...

Sorry I didn't give details, I currently have Windows 10 running on my new computer with the new SSD. I have a lot of files on my old one, I would just like to use the old SSD as storage for a while. Just making sure that the old one having windows on it wouldn't effect the new one with the current windows install. The old SSD is a SATA, while the new one is a M.2.
Thanks,
Geekster

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks,
Geekster
Yes, that will work.
As always, only install the OS on the new drive in the system while it is the only thing connected. Connect the old drive later.

And a USB-SATA dock is especially helpful for things like this.

Solution