Stoggy24

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Hello,
I want to use a ssd as boot drive but i wanna use my other hard drive as storage for everything everytime i set it up it always saves stuff to the ssd as default not sure how to set it up so nothing saves on it

Solution
In Windows Vista and 7 you can easily relocate the various folders associated with your user profile to your Hard drive. Here is how:

1. Click on the Windows button and click on your user name (should be just below your account picture in the upper-right corner of the start menu). Alternatively, go to C:\Users\<username>
2. Right-click on the folder you want to relocate, like the My Documents folder and click Properties
3. Select the Location tab and on the Location tab, click the Move button.
4. Browse to a folder on your hard drive, like D:\Users\<username>\My Documents
5. Click Ok. Windows will ask you if you want to move all the content to the new location. Say yes and repeat the above for any remaining folders.

Now your Desktop...
You can change where you download files to in Firefox options at:

Tools>Options>General>Browns(select where you want all downloads to go to now.)

You can do this same process for any other program that downloads files, except the process may vary slightly though. Other than downloading files off a browser, torrent client, or steam, you need not worry about anything else downloading for the most part.

For steam, just install it onto your storage drive and all games will install there.

rusabus

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
In Windows Vista and 7 you can easily relocate the various folders associated with your user profile to your Hard drive. Here is how:

1. Click on the Windows button and click on your user name (should be just below your account picture in the upper-right corner of the start menu). Alternatively, go to C:\Users\<username>
2. Right-click on the folder you want to relocate, like the My Documents folder and click Properties
3. Select the Location tab and on the Location tab, click the Move button.
4. Browse to a folder on your hard drive, like D:\Users\<username>\My Documents
5. Click Ok. Windows will ask you if you want to move all the content to the new location. Say yes and repeat the above for any remaining folders.

Now your Desktop, documents, music, pictures, etc will all be located on your HDD instead of your SSD, and any time you save something to the desktop, for example, it will be on your HDD.

You can do this on a much wider scale for all users on a computer (or all domain attached computers) using Group Policy, but that is probably overkill. If you're interested, take a look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732275.aspx

--Russel

Solution

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Do what Rusabus wrote out here. Moving the location of all your personal folders is the most foolproof way.

Also - you can install programs in different locations if you run out of room on the boot drive. For a long time I had a secondary programs folder not on the boot drive that I used for less frequently used programs.

Finally, if you use steam, there is a program called "steamtool" that lets you move games out of the steam folder. Its good for moving nonessential games to a secondary drive.

Or you can just make it simple and create a hierarchy of folders on your storage drives like such:

-Storage Drive- (D:\)

* Audio
* Documents
* Downloads
* Games
* Software
* Steam
* Videos

Now you can create a shortcut to this hard drive on your desktop for quick and easy access to an organized data storage drive. This will avoid any confusion now or later and if you install your operating system later all you have to do is create a new shortcut form the hard drive to your desktop and you're back in action!

And as I've said, just set your browser to automatically download your files to a location such as "D:\Downloads."

For steam, don't use the steam tool; here's a much easier solution.

How do I install games on a different hard drive or location?

I'd like to have Steam install my games on a different location on my hard drive or to a different drive altogether. How can I do this?

Steam installs to the following folder by default:

C:\Program Files\Steam

Files for games installed on Steam are stored in the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\

During the installation of Steam, you have the option to install Steam to a location other than the default. Since Steam relies on the game files residing in the SteamApps folder, your game files will go to whatever folder you have Steam installed in. The game files must be in the SteamApps folder in order to function.

Moving Your Steam Installation
Warning:

It is highly recommended that you create a backup of your SteamApps folder before attempting this process. Neglecting to do so may result in a loss of all of your game content should something go wrong.

If you're low on space on the drive you have Steam installed, you can move the Steam folder to a different location. Here's an example of how to move the Steam installation between two hard drives:

Log out and exit Steam
Navigate to the folder where Steam is installed (by default: C:\Program Files\Steam\)
Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
Cut and paste your Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
Launch Steam
Steam will briefly update and then you will be ready to play
All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder D:\Games\Steam\Steamapps\