Question Using Two Different USB - One in windows the Other On a VM

ccoo84

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
Hello thanks in advance..

Soo I have a pretty good computer & my kids want to play emulators while I am working its becoming a issue, I can't afford to build them another computer at the momment, So I came up with the Idea of using VMware to run a Xbox controller to the VM Seperatly so they can use the controller without m essing with my work, is this feasable?

Thank you

How is the controller messing with your work?!
Opening up a VM window will be the same as opening up an emulator window, if one bothers you the other will as well.
I'm trying to figure out why you think that a VM would help.

Also if you have a semi recent smarthone or android tv box you can turn them into decent emulator boxes, at least for older consoles.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello thanks in advance..

Soo I have a pretty good computer & my kids want to play emulators while I am working its becoming a issue, I can't afford to build them another computer at the momment, So I came up with the Idea of using VMware to run a Xbox controller to the VM Seperatly so they can use the controller without m essing with my work, is this feasable?

Thank you
You're thinking of a multi-seat configuration?

2 totally different uses, in the same PC, at the same time. with 2 different control sets.

This is not easy, especially when it comes to games.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSodGduWeL0

ccoo84

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
Thanks for the reply guys,
@TerryLaze anytime they may want to play a game like an emulator you need to have the Window centered to play it, so you can't in some games have the game runing on a tv or monitor & While they play it, & I could be working on something myself when I get the time., or I may want to game at the same time also which
@USAFRet Is allot closer to understanding what I'm trying to aim for, Basiclly I would need to do a Hyper Visor Situation, Something I Would like to do is maybe split the computer into two, But I feel this method is a bit extreme.. Thus I am thinking a VM might work.

The only thing you need is a little tool that will allow you to force a windows to always be on top, then set the emulator up to not pause when losing focus, if you use retroarch the setting is in.
Settings -> User Interface -> Pause content when not Activate (OFF)

USAFRet

Titan
The only thing you need is a little tool that will allow you to force a windows to always be on top, then set the emulator up to not pause when losing focus, if you use retroarch the setting is in.
Settings -> User Interface -> Pause content when not Activate (OFF)

I'm not sure how that solves the issue of two different control things happening at the same time.

USAFRet

Titan
Retroarch always keeps checking for controller input, the other user will have to work with keyboard and mouse, and since the second person will only be clicking outside of retroarch they won't interfere...at least that's the theory.
Right.
But the gamers would presumably be interacting with their controller 100% of the time.
Leaving no slice of time for dad to use his mouse/kbd.

This doesn't sound like it works with simultaneous inputs.
(of course, I could be wrong)

Right.
But the gamers would presumably be interacting with their controller 100% of the time.
Leaving no slice of time for dad to use his mouse/kbd.

This doesn't sound like it works with simultaneous inputs.
(of course, I could be wrong)
Huh?!
That's like saying that the keyboard won't work if the mouse is moving...
Or that a usb mouse won't work if you copy files from a usb stick.
You can have multiple controllers working at the same time and keyboard+mouse will still be working.
These inputs aren't simultaneous they are parallel.

USAFRet

Titan
Huh?!
That's like saying that the keyboard won't work if the mouse is moving...
Or that a usb mouse won't work if you copy files from a usb stick.
You can have multiple controllers working at the same time and keyboard+mouse will still be working.
These inputs aren't simultaneous they are parallel.
No, this is like having 2 mice at the same time. Which one runs the cursor?

But, if that thing works as you say, I'd love to see it in action.