[SOLVED] Using XMP profile causes reboots, Fallout 76 stops reboots

Hammahness

Honorable
Jun 30, 2015
In the past when I first got my 2080 Ti back in November 2018 I tried overclocking my CPU and using the built in XMP profile to reduce the bottleneck my system might cause. However, within 30 minutes to an hour my PC would reboot and revert back to default settings. So I tried just using the XMP profile for my ram. Same thing happened. I even upgraded my PSU to a Platinum rated EVGA 850w and it didn’t make any difference. Since then I’ve just been running my system at 3.4ghz with 2133mhz speed ram. 2 years later though I thought maybe all the Windows 10 updates in the past would stabilize my system for overclocking so I tried just enabling the XMP profile and same thing happened. Me being stubborn, I left the XMP profile on, however I noticed something weird. In the past when I overclocked or used the XMP profile my PC would reboot when I’m just web browsing or doing light use programs. So this time I instantly launched a game after booting, specifically Fallout 76. 4 hours in, there was no reboot and even after quitting the game nothing happened. So I restarted it and tried web browsing and my PC rebooted within 30 minutes. Next restart with the XMP profile still on I tried starting off by playing Red Dead Redemption 2. It was good for an hour then a reboot happened. So after the reboot I tried opening Fallout 76 again and it stabilized the system like before. My temps seem to be fine and I haven’t tried overclocking my CPU yet because so far I get 10-20 more FPS in most games now and I don’t think a CPU overclock is necessary at this point. I checked all my connections and everything in my rig seems fine. I’m just wondering why I need to specifically start up with Fallout 76 for my system to be stabilized until I turn it off. It’s not a big problem for me but it just baffles me of why this is happening.

Specs
i7-6800k @ 3.8ghz with locked turbo boost (now)
16gb RAM 3000mhz (4x4)
Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2080 Ti
Windows 10 1909
Samsung 970 EVO 500gb
Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4P
EVGA 850w Platinum Rated

Last edited:
Solution
Ok, so that's good.

So, next, are you relying on the Windows supplied drivers for your motherboard components or do you have the most recent motherboard specific drivers installed?

If you are unsure, I would just go ahead and install ALL of the following.

Audio driver: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_audio_realtek_x99_refresh.zip

Intel chipset driver: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_chipset_intel_x99_refresh.zip

Intel LAN driver: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_lan_intel_x99_refresh.zip

And if you have ANY of the Gigabyte utilties from the CD/DVD or motherboard product page installed, like App Center, Easytune, Intel XTU, cFosSpeed, etc., I...

Hammahness

Honorable
Jun 30, 2015
No, the latest BIOS for that motherboard is version F24c, from 2018. I would recommend that you update to that version if that is not the version you currently have installed.
Oh yeah thats the bios version I have. Sorry I looked at the date wrong from the website and saw the '15' in 2018/06/15 as the year. Just checked bios version too with windows command prompt and its F24c

Ok, so that's good.

So, next, are you relying on the Windows supplied drivers for your motherboard components or do you have the most recent motherboard specific drivers installed?

Audio driver: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_audio_realtek_x99_refresh.zip

Intel chipset driver: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_chipset_intel_x99_refresh.zip

Intel LAN driver: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_lan_intel_x99_refresh.zip

And if you have ANY of the Gigabyte utilties from the CD/DVD or motherboard product page installed, like App Center, Easytune, Intel XTU, cFosSpeed, etc., I would uninstall them. It would also probably be a good idea to update Windows to version 2004 as well.

And, MOST important of all, if you have been "upgrading" Windows each spring and fall major update cycle, and even more so if this was an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 to begin with and a clean install has never been done since upgrading, it would be a VERY GOOD idea to simply start by backing up anything important including documents, personal files and folders, application settings, etc. and then do a clean install of Windows.

Sometimes all it takes is one bad registry setting and it never goes away no matter how many times you "upgrade" or "update" the system. And other times it simply takes getting rid of one bad, older driver, or installing one good, newer driver, to fix the problem.

Solution

Hammahness

Honorable
Jun 30, 2015
Ok, so that's good.

And if you have ANY of the Gigabyte utilties from the CD/DVD or motherboard product page installed, like App Center, Easytune, Intel XTU, cFosSpeed, etc., I would uninstall them. It would also probably be a good idea to update Windows to version 2004 as well.

And, MOST important of all, if you have been "upgrading" Windows each spring and fall major update cycle, and even more so if this was an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 to begin with and a clean install has never been done since upgrading, it would be a VERY GOOD idea to simply start by backing up anything important including documents, personal files and folders, application settings, etc. and then do a clean install of Windows.

Sometimes all it takes is one bad registry setting and it never goes away no matter how many times you "upgrade" or "update" the system. And other times it simply takes getting rid of one bad, older driver, or installing one good, newer driver, to fix the problem.
I think I'm currently depending on the Windows supplied drivers atm. I'm pretty sure I dont have any of the Gigabye utilities drivers from the CD/DVD installed or website also. I've never updated the audio driver, intel chipset driver, or intel LAN driver before either, only the bios driver itself. I also did a couple of Windows clean installs in the past too because of viruses so the system has never been on Windows 7/8/8.1 . I'll try installing those 3 drivers and update you on the situation.

Hammahness

Honorable
Jun 30, 2015
After installing all three drivers I no longer experience random reboots while putting my computer through light use. After running some CPU and Memory stress tests also, my computer hasn't gone through reboots either which makes me think I no longer need to launch Fallout 76 at startup to stabilize the XMP overclocks. Thank you very much for your help although if you don't mind me asking, how do these drivers help with general overclock stabilization? The only driver that would make sense installing would be the intel chipset driver although the other two seems irrelevant nonetheless it stopped the reboots. Otherwise, thank you again so much for helping me with this. Now I can comfortably use my computer with these higher settings!

No driver is EVER irrelevant. ALL drivers can affect ALL other drivers, so that if information for one is outdated or some part of it's configuration conflicts with some part of the configuration of another, or of some bit of memory of some older driver in the registry, it can cause ghost problems. Regardless, having the latest drivers for any given hardware component is usually a good idea unless there are known issues with a particular driver release as there sometimes are for some graphics cards drivers.

Glad it was able to help you and good luck going forward. We're always here if you have other issues or questions down the road. :)

Hammahness

Honorable
Jun 30, 2015
No driver is EVER irrelevant. ALL drivers can affect ALL other drivers, so that if information for one is outdated or some part of it's configuration conflicts with some part of the configuration of another, or of some bit of memory of some older driver in the registry, it can cause ghost problems. Regardless, having the latest drivers for any given hardware component is usually a good idea unless there are known issues with a particular driver release as there sometimes are for some graphics cards drivers.

Glad it was able to help you and good luck going forward. We're always here if you have other issues or questions down the road. :)
Update*
So a little while after this, the random reboots started happening again and I started getting frequent bsods even after switching back to stock settings after trying to force the xmp profile to stay on for while. Assumed the problem to be a faulty motherboard and just upgraded to a 9900k and Z390 Aorus Pro motherboard. PC runs like a dream now and I see that the past 2 years having the 2080 Ti, I was not using it’s full potential in the slightest. The 6800k was bottlenecking me for more than 2 years lol. Anyway, thought I’d let you know

Reactions: Darkbreeze