Valve Reportedly Working on Source 2 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I'll face giant backlash for this, but in MY opinion I don't get the fuss over Half-life. I find it really overrated. I loved Portal/2 but HL1/2/e were major "mehs" for me. Are they bad games? Not at all. But they're not nearly as amazing as people make them out to be.

At least that's how I feel.

toddybody

Distinguished
The time Valve is taking on HL3/HL2 Ep3 is ridiculous. It seems their efforts have been focused mostly on Steam...which is awesome, but gimme the good stuff. And the games they have made in the interim have been "ok"...not what HL2 was for so many people.

mboyer87

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Not trying to break people's hearts here, but Valve employees have been referring to the engine that runs LFD2 and Portal 2 as 'Source 2'.. so there might be a misunderstanding here, just throwing that out there.

bunkgoats

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
@ aftcomet: When did you begin playing the games? While they have aged gracefully, in my opionion, if you played them several years after they came out, then I could see how you might be underwhelmed. If you played the games when they were released, then they were unmatched in terms of story, game play and technology.

Am excited for Half-Life 3, but its been so long I will need to replay the older games or read the wikis on the older games to remember the plot lines.

bunkgoats

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
[citation][nom]mboyer87[/nom]Not trying to break people's hearts here, but Valve employees have been referring to the engine that runs LFD2 and Portal 2 as 'Source 2'.. so there might be a misunderstanding here, just throwing that out there.[/citation]

If this is true then you have a great comment that adds to the discussion, but it would be even better if you provided a cite.

G

[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I loved Portal/2 but HL1/2/e were major "mehs" for me.[/citation]

I have to disagree. Portal 1 and the Orange Box in general were absolutely astonishing games, but from what I've played of Portal 2 so far, it really feels like a shameless sellout. Portal 2, in my opinion, tries way too hard to be as successful as the first, and instead just turns out to be insufferably obnoxious.

I miss the days of the Orange Box when three AAA titles were packaged into a single $50 purchase. (At that time TF2 was a great game, haven't cared for it since the introduction of the in-game store)

Since then, Valve has been doing great things (Mac, Linux, and mobile support, L4D, Source Filmmaker, improving the Steam client in general, etc), but I agree that the next HL installment is now long overdue.

I really hope that Valve doesn't let this community down and not only delivers on HL3/HL2EP3, but delivers the kind of quality that we have learned to expect from the series. So many franchises have been going down the shitter lately, I really don't want to see it happen to HL. If that means I have to wait for Source 2, then so be it!

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Frankly, I don't play Valve games for graphics. I've been playing Counter Strike Source for years and the graphics are extremely outdated compared to modern games. It's just a fun game though so it doesn't matter. Half Life 2 had good graphics for it's time but even playing it now, you don't notice the outdated graphics because the game emphasized environment and immersion without having anything that looked extremely realistic.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I think it's a no brainer that they are working on a new source engine especially after taking this long, not to mention that as good as the half-life story/gameplay is it would look out dated especially compared to newer games.

Personally I think the real hold up is they are waiting for a simultaneous release with Xbox 720/PS4/PC....next year???

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]leongrado[/nom]Frankly, I don't play Valve games for graphics. I've been playing Counter Strike Source for years and the graphics are extremely outdated compared to modern games. It's just a fun game though so it doesn't matter. Half Life 2 had good graphics for it's time but even playing it now, you don't notice the outdated graphics because the game emphasized environment and immersion without having anything that looked extremely realistic.[/citation]
Not very interested in the whole "run & gun" genre that Counter Strike/source is. I feel like I have to have light speed fingers just to even out the K/D.....

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I'll face giant backlash for this, but in MY opinion I don't get the fuss over Half-life. I find it really overrated. I loved Portal/2 but HL1/2/e were major "mehs" for me. Are they bad games? Not at all. But they're not nearly as amazing as people make them out to be.At least that's how I feel.[/citation]
Just so you (an others) realize what the original Half Life game pioneered:

1)This was the first FPS games that had a movie-like intro, where you were just thrust into the beginning sequence as if you were really Gordan Freeman. It set the scene and gave important information about places, concepts, and in-game controls. Much like getting a guided tour at a new job. EVERYBODY COPIES THIS NOW.

2) This was the first FPS game that did not stop after every level and give you a bunch of kill statistics (ala Doom). The game simply flowed from one level to another, often without you realizing it. Cave-ins or doors locking behind you kept you from going back to previous levels. Very creative. Again, this greatly improved the immersion in the game. EVERYBODY COPIES THIS NOW.

3) There were scripted, movie like scenes that played out in front of you when you approached an area. Maybe a guard shooting and loosing to a creature, or a fellow scientist getting gobbled up. The scene was withing the game so it felt real, like it was happening in front of you. Again, EVERYBODY COPIES THIS NOW.

4) Lots and Lots of voice acting to improve the realism, rather than reading a bunch of text. EVERYBODY COPIES THIS NOW.

5) A simple "non-weapon" (crowbar) to be used when all else fails. (ALMOST) EVERYBODY COPIES THIS NOW.

I could go on but hopefully you get the point.

G

What's interesting about the find, that's not even mentioned in any of the reports, is that two of the icons hint at SubD's, a model tech that's alternative to polygons and curve surfaces. It always ran slow in any implementation there were out there, but it gives geometry the potential for infinitely smooth surfaces. If valve found an efficient manner render them realtime, it could make fore very crisp graphics. Modeling for it isn't very hard, either, since it's pretty much like modeling polygons with a smooth modifier on top. Look at teh spherical icon and the box with the spherical object inside. Those are the two that hint at SubD's.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Just so you (an others) realize what the original Half Life game pioneered:1)This was the first FPS games that had a movie-like intro, where you were just thrust into the beginning sequence as if you were really Gordan Freeman. It set the scene and gave important information about places, concepts, and in-game controls. Much like getting a guided tour at a new job. EVERYBODY COPIES THIS NOW.2) This was the first FPS game that did not stop after every level and give you a bunch of kill statistics (ala Doom). The game simply flowed from one level to another, often without you realizing it. Cave-ins or doors locking behind you kept you from going back to previous levels. Very creative. Again, this greatly improved the immersion in the game. EVERYBODY COPIES THIS NOW.3) There were scripted, movie like scenes that played out in front of you when you approached an area. Maybe a guard shooting and loosing to a creature, or a fellow scientist getting gobbled up. The scene was withing the game so it felt real, like it was happening in front of you. Again, EVERYBODY COPIES THIS NOW.4) Lots and Lots of voice acting to improve the realism, rather than reading a bunch of text. EVERYBODY COPIES THIS NOW.5) A simple "non-weapon" (crowbar) to be used when all else fails. (ALMOST) EVERYBODY COPIES THIS NOW.I could go on but hopefully you get the point.[/citation]

may i add:
6). This may the first game to intoduce physic into gameplay.. remember that gravity gun? or wood that can break into pieces? Then years after that comes CRYSIS/BATTLEFIELD/ or whatever games that emphasizes the important of physic.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I'll face giant backlash for this, but in MY opinion I don't get the fuss over Half-life. I find it really overrated. I loved Portal/2 but HL1/2/e were major "mehs" for me. Are they bad games? Not at all. But they're not nearly as amazing as people make them out to be.At least that's how I feel.[/citation]
And a good game for you is????????

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
[citation][nom]atikkur[/nom]may i add:6). This may the first game to intoduce physic into gameplay.. remember that gravity gun? or wood that can break into pieces? Then years after that comes CRYSIS/BATTLEFIELD/ or whatever games that emphasizes the important of physic.[/citation]

You are talking about Half-Life 2 and he is talking about Half-Life 1. BTW I suspect Jurassic Park Trespasser was maybe the first game to be obsessed with physics but it was a failure so people don't talk about it much.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
[citation][nom]TemporaryGuyOfActionBlahblahblah[/nom]What's interesting about the find, that's not even mentioned in any of the reports, is that two of the icons hint at SubD's, a model tech that's alternative to polygons and curve surfaces. It always ran slow in any implementation there were out there, but it gives geometry the potential for infinitely smooth surfaces. If valve found an efficient manner render them realtime, it could make fore very crisp graphics. Modeling for it isn't very hard, either, since it's pretty much like modeling polygons with a smooth modifier on top. Look at teh spherical icon and the box with the spherical object inside. Those are the two that hint at SubD's.[/citation]

It makes sense that this would be included in a new engine because I believe this is the main new feature of DirectX 11. I'm talking about tesselation for smoothing away segmentation and tesselated displacement for making the geometry actually bumpy, and also the tesselation smoothly transitions so there is no apparent Level Of Detail popping occurring.

I'm finding it odd though that apparently Epic has decided to not include this feature in its first Unreal Engine 4 game called Fortnite. Maybe it's not such a great feature afterall? Maybe it causes extra hassle to artists or maybe it's extremely computationally expensive?

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Lets not forget that Team Fortress 2 took nearly 10 years to develop... I suspect that Valve wants to ensure that the last chapter of Half-Life 2 doesnt end how Mass Effect did.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]Lets not forget that Team Fortress 2 took nearly 10 years to develop... I suspect that Valve wants to ensure that the last chapter of Half-Life 2 doesnt end how Mass Effect did.[/citation]

Originally they had an interesting game system for TF2 that would've worked if there were no such thing as incompetent or trolling players.

But they killed it because it was too much hassle. Back to the drawing board.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]And a good game for you is????????[/citation]

Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, HALO, God of War, Gears of War, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, Crash Bandicoot, Super Mario, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.