teejayv

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Ok, I'm new here per se, but I've been a fan of this site for ages, and I normally don't sign up for forums, but I had to for this question to be answered, and hopefully someone can better enlighten me as to what this is and how it will affect the consumer.

I tried reading up on Veeza, the new liscensing stuff that's being embedded into all the cd-r's manufactured throughout the world, otherwise they won't be allowed through customs at the US borders. I'm trying to figure out a few things here. The liscesing issue, is that with copyrighted material, or is this just something that Philips has created so that these inexpensive, and usually cheap cd manufacturers have to pay out a royalty for each cd they make so that the consumer has a marked up price on purchasing blank media? From what I'm gathering, it seems as if they're trying to "level the playing field" by price fixing essentially. I could be wrong on this, but philips is making every cd manufacturer that wants to sell it's product in the US sign up with this liscensing deal that... well... I'm not at all sure what it's supposed to do. When I read it on the Philips website, it seems very convoluted, as if they're TRYING to confuse the masses. Again, I can certainly be wrong, and I could just be a dummy, but it's so confusing as to what the point they're trying to get across is. Are they trying to protect copyrighted information or just the blank media market? I for one am a big fan of going to computer shows to purchase my cd-r's consdering they cost an arm and a leg in comparison in the local retail stores. Can anyone give me a little more insight as to what this whole Veeza thing is? thanks!

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I'm not 100% sure on all of this, so if somebody knows anything to the contrary - please feel free to jump in and correct me:

Veeza applies to the blank media (CD-R or DVD-R) that is manufactured. Philips owns the rights for the recordable media, so any other party making blank CD-Rs has to pay Philips a royalty.

By using the Veeza identification markings, it is easier for customs officials to tell that a shipment is compliant with the applicable copyright/manufacturing laws. In exchange for compliance with Veeza, the CD-R manufacturer gets a break in the royalties paid to Philips (goes from 6 cents down to 3.5 cents per CD-R).

Veeza has nothing to do with any content you record on a CD-R, nor is it aimed at an individual's purchase of blank CD-Rs. It is to help Philips block out "unlicensed" shipments that are coming into the country without paying Philips their royaltees.

On one hand, it will drive the price of super-cheap CD-Rs up by making it harder to bring unlicensed blank media into the country.

On the other hand, the top-end CD-Rs may drop in price as Philips is lowering the royaltees on the legal, licensed products.

I wouldn't call it "price fixing", as Philips does own the rights - it is just trying to make sure that everyone pays.

teejayv

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
quite helpful, thank you.... but that was exactly what I was talking about, and you confirmed it. Like I said in the other post, that I love to go to the local computer shows to buy my cdr's since their always dirt cheap there. That puts somewhat of a damper on it now, doesn't it? Secondly, though in theory it would be nice to see a decrease in the price of major branded cdr's, I wouldn't count on it. if we do see a reduction, it will be so slight that either the distributor or the retail outlet you purchase it from will be the only ones with the noticiable difference, likely not the consumer. Thanks again!