Hammad5161

Honorable
May 18, 2014
First of all: BRAND NEW pc, built it just days ago, first time it happened 2 days ago while playing BF5 it went black screen, 100% fan speed. So I done some research, I done AMD cleanup utility, DDU, reinstalled drivers. I made sure there was separate cables from the PSU to power each 8pin from the GPU. Again playing BF5, this time I thought problem was fixed because it did not happen for a day, but it happened, this time mouse and kb went off, there was no 100% fan speed, DEBUG light is at VGA which suspects GPU fault. It is undervolted to 1100mv and is Oc'd to 1650 and 850. OC or not this should not be happening.... Note that all parts are brand new. I monitor temps from MSI afterburner, temps never go above 75C. My PSU is good quality too and this is a common Vega issue. Should I return it?

Specs:
R5 3600
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
MSI RX VEGA 56 AIR BOOST OC
16GB HYPERX PREDATOR 3200MHZ
EVGA 650 GQ 650W 80 Plus Gold
PATRIOT BURST 480GB
WINDOWS 10

Last edited:
Solution
Okay. That's good PSU. No issues using this model. Looks more like a GPU issue to me. Don't undervolt, or OC the GPU for the time being. Let all the GPU parameters be in the default state values.

After doing this, again stress test your GPU, and see what happens !
Okay. That's good PSU. No issues using this model. Looks more like a GPU issue to me. Don't undervolt, or OC the GPU for the time being. Let all the GPU parameters be in the default state values.

Solution

Hammad5161

Honorable
May 18, 2014

Thank you, I will try this, would heaven benchmark at highest preset running for 2hrs etc a good stress test?

Hammad5161

Honorable
May 18, 2014
Yes, you can use any benchmark, though it would be much better if you can try playing some Graphic demanding games instead. 2Hrs is a pretty long time for the benchmark stress test though, imo
On stock clocks, only power max limit and 1150mv on stage 7 and 8 it did not crash in 20 min of heaven max settings and superposition benchmark max settings. Unsure if it will translate into hours of stable gaming without crash...

Hammad5161

Honorable
May 18, 2014
So is the GPU working fine now, on STOCK settings ? Have you also tried playing some Graphic demanding games like suggested above ?
It is fine for now through the benchmarks listed and some games I play mostly battlefield 5 and Mordhau which are demanding but the last time it crashed I played for 2 hrs in a row then boom, I will update if it crashes again

Hammad5161

Honorable
May 18, 2014
"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." is the message from event viewer whenever this error occurs. Note that it can be any one of the crashes, it can be a BSOD "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER". It can be a blackscreen where display, mouse and keyboard go off. It can be a blackscreen where display goes off with GPU fan at 100% fan speed and I have to force shutdown from power button. The system works fine at idle or light work. But ingame at high load it could be at any time, I could be 1hr into a game, 30minutes etc. It has crashed on Battlefield, Forza Horizon 4 and Mordhau but never on Minecraft which is less demanding. The motherboard DEBUG led shows VGA. I monitor with MSI Afterburner, CPU and GPU never show overheating, never above 76C for CPU and GPU 78C while gaming. Please note that this is a new build with brand new parts, I built it on 2nd of August. This is my first build ever and I am incredibly stressed because I have tried so many things.
I have tried:
Using DDU
Installing latest drivers (19.5.2 and 19.7.5)
Powering the GPU's 8pin with 2 seperate 6+2 cables from the PSU.
Setting the CPU to stock
Turning XMP off (Running at 2400MHZ)
Trying Balanced (Default), Turbo, increasing power and custom fan speed.
Updating to latest motherboard BIOS
Installing motherboard Chipset drivers
Latest windows updates

Specs:
R5 3600
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
MSI RX VEGA 56 AIR BOOST OC
16GB HYPERX PREDATOR 3200MHZ
EVGA 650 GQ 650W 80 Plus Gold
PATRIOT BURST 480GB
WINDOWS 10

Aug 30, 2019
I have a sapphire vega 56 pulse that I bought off eBay for my new build , I’m experiencing crashing on GTA 5 every hour or so and I crash instantly on rainbow six siege. I crash now and again when i benchmark on heaven etc

TRENDING THREADS