Question Very high Hard Page Faults/s RAM works fine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 8, 2020
Okay so I've really hit a dead end here, the issue being having a large amound of hard page faults being caused by Discord, Firefox/Chrome, OBS and various windows processes such as MsMpEng.exe and svchost.exe. This is making my pc very slow and causing BSOD (Page Fault on Nonpaged area).

Heres a list of things I have tried to fix the issue;

Disabling XMP
Updating Drivers
Upgrading to an SSD to boot OS
Isolating RAM (errors with both sticks so very unlikely to be faulty)
Full drive scan that took hours and hours
SFC Scan
DISM Tool (
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
)
Windows memory scan
Reinstalling windows
Configuring Page write settings in windows
Reinstalling/Updating problematic programs

Here are my specs

Ryzen 7 2700X
Gigabyte B450 AORUS
Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz DDR4
Asus Expedition GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Aerocool Integrator 500W Semi Modular PSU
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Adata Ultimate SU650 240GB SSD

Two recent BSOD Dumps (only ones in minidump)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16onxa6sbuxH2HwP3iByoUY1NZzwUNCfd?usp=sharing

Thankyou in advance for any help, really struggling with this.

Oct 8, 2020
they won't fix themselves.

desktop windows manager crashed on 29th, it is the part of windows that talks to GPU. it didn't cause a bsod but its another thing pointing at drivers.

it doesn't really tell me what caused the USB error.

Not sure if its any help,
Ive noticed that the restarts with no errors moslty seem happen when I have a browser open, both monitors go black and then I see the bios boot screen
the blue screens can happen at any time really, and theres been other times where the PC completely freezes, the displays stay on, but no matter how long I wait it doesnt go to a blue screen, its really odd

Im going to follow the tutorial you have provided now.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you clean install 4 days ago? as the windows error Reporting is only includes 4 days. I can't tell what caused any before then from it anyway. the ones on 18th & 8th will remain mysteries.

the 1st crash on 25th was caused by LAN drivers.
Jul 01 2019rt640x64.sysRealtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver

you can get newer ones here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

this can cause bsod, shame you need it for a game
Oct 07 2020vgk.sysVanguard Anti-Cheat driver

blue screens I can blame on drivers, restarts with no bsod isn't windows mostly. it tends to remember what cause was.

Ryzen 7 2700X
Gigabyte B450 AORUS
Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz DDR4
Asus Expedition GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Aerocool Integrator 500W Semi Modular PSU
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Adata Ultimate SU650 240GB SSD

how old is system?

Oct 8, 2020
The last windows reset I did was October 9th I believe.

Every part in the system apart from the power supply and hard drive was purchased in February 2019 brand new, the power supply and HDD could be 4/5 years old I believe?
(honestly the HDD still hasnt been connected since october 9th when I did the fresh install)
note: I have used DDU in safe mode and have just reinstalled the newest Nvidia drivers.

edit: I had the restart with no error the first time when I was about to use DDU, luckily it was before the process started, I booted in safe mode again and it worked the second time uninterupted

edit2: Ive been playing valorant since the first closed beta, I really dislike vanguard, especially because its still possible to cheat with it installed, but the problems didnt start when I started playing valorant, it probably doesnt help though...

edit3: literally 10 mins after the restart after installing the drivers I get the restart with no errors, again whilst only having a browser open with steam and discord

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
strange there were no error events between 9th and 25th then.

Did you update windows on the 25th? that also wipes the error history. They should be there. the program also only found 2 BSOD dumps which are from 25th, it should have more.

the power supply and HDD could be 4/5
PSU could be cause of the random restarts. 5 years is about time they can start to fade.

shame they aren't the easiest things to test.
3 ways to test PSU -
the paper clip method - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-paperclip-method-of-testing-a-psu.1336402/

or multimeter,

or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583

I think we checked hdd out when we were looking at hard faults?

Oct 8, 2020
PSU could be cause of the random restarts. 5 years is about time they can start to fade.

If thats the case, Im in a position where I can buy a new PSU anyway, how much power do you recommend for my build, also maybe future proofing because I plan on getting a 30 series nvidia card somewhere in the future

I think you said the hard drive sata drivers was a potential cause for blue screen so I didnt have it connected when I did a fresh install of windows to test that, Its probably fine since the problem still occurs, Ill connect it whenever I need to.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Power Supply Requirements for Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090
For the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 PSU requirements, you'll want a 750W power supply if you pair the card with a mainstream Core i5/i7 processor or Ryzen 5/7 CPU. That requirement jumps to 850W for Intel Core i9 and Ryzen i9 chips, with a peak of 1000W for Intel HEDT and AMD Threadripper platforms.

Power Supply Requirements for Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080
Mainstream Core i5/i7 and Ryzen i5/i7 system PSU requirements stay the same at 750W for the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 as they are for the RTX 3090. However, you only need an 850W power supply for HEDT/Threadripper and Core i9/Ryzen 9 platforms.

Power Supply Requirements for Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070
Finally, for the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 PSU requirements, you'll "only" need 650W for Core i5/i7 & Ryzen 5/7 systems, 750W for Core i9/Ryzen 9 systems, and 850W for HEDT/Threadripper platforms.

depends which you get, 750watt covers most of them for what I expect is the power draw of your current system.

Reactions: Symxn

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well pretty much any Aerocool PSU is poor quality unfortunately. The integrator especially being one of them. It's not just about wattage but about quality.
USB issues can be linked to PSU but not sure in all the possible ways.

Ultimately if a PSU is faulty, it can cause all manner of issues, including problems with USB ports. Equally some USB ports depending on your power and BIOS settings can still be drawing power despite you shutting down as it goes into a low power state.

Even if the PSU wasn't causing your issue, I'd be upgrading away from any Aerocool unit anyway (asides the Project 7 perhaps) because they're mostly very poor quality and cause all manner of issues. If you're having random restarts, poor quality and faulty PSUs can be a very common culprit.

Oct 8, 2020
Well pretty much any Aerocool PSU is poor quality unfortunately. The integrator especially being one of them. It's not just about wattage but about quality.
USB issues can be linked to PSU but not sure in all the possible ways.

Ultimately if a PSU is faulty, it can cause all manner of issues, including problems with USB ports. Equally some USB ports depending on your power and BIOS settings can still be drawing power despite you shutting down as it goes into a low power state.

Even if the PSU wasn't causing your issue, I'd be upgrading away from any Aerocool unit anyway (asides the Project 7 perhaps) because they're mostly very poor quality and cause all manner of issues. If you're having random restarts, poor quality and faulty PSUs can be a very common culprit.

Thankyou for this information, I will look into buying a new power supply, unfortunately wont be able to order one until monday, I had the restart again today and also a blue screen that happened whilst playing Valorant, I think it was gpu driver related, after I ran DDU and did a fresh install, Just thinking, I dont recall having issues the day after I did the fresh install, for a whole day, I have reinstalled Geforce experience last night, and had issues today, dont know if its related, Is that known to cause issues?

did you ever run that adata scan on the ssd?

I did run that scan and according to the software, my SSD is in perfect health

I have uploaded the new dump file from today to the Google Drive thankyou for your continued help.

Oct 8, 2020
Still getting these random restarts, they will happen if the pc is idle, they happen during games, they can happen 3 times in a couple hours, and then not happen at all for the next 10 hours, its so odd

Oct 8, 2020
Update: PSU came earlier than expected, just finished installing it, ill let you know if i have the same restarts, doubt this has fixed the blue screens
but I will update here when any other issues occur

Oct 8, 2020
No random restarts since Ive installed the PSU so far, pc has blue screened just now, uploaded the dump file in the google drive (page file in non paged area)

edit: had another blue screen today, and a random restart... really dont know whats happening at this point

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020
i don't think my friend is around still and I have to go out for 90 minutes or so, so I doubt I get an answer for you right now.

Yeah, PSU may have fixed some of it.

Had another blue screen today, a dump file wasnt created but I think it was kernel security check failure,
If I launch a game, my pc gets loud which is new, I assume its the GPU fan, but even if I close the game it wont go until my pc has restarted,and then it will come back

Colif

Win 11 Master
results - https://jsfiddle.net/5pnh3r1L/show (I don't expect you to read them)

1st crash caused by Valorant (9th Nov)
2nd crash mentions portcls.sys which seems to tie into audio drivers (9trh Nov)
3rd crash seems to be GPU drivers (4th Nov)
4th crash is Nvidia drivers (mentioned) (31 Oct)
5th crash mentions tcpip.sys which is normally a lan driver error (25 Oct)
6th crash is all USB actions (25th Oct)
7th crash was Nvidia (19 Oct)
8th crash was unclear (18 Oct)

He looked at them all, not just recent ones.
so I can help with crash 2 as there are newer Realtek Audio drivers on here - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-M-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver
I assume you know what this is
Apr 17 2020kinonivad.sysKinoni Virtual Audio Device driver http://www.kinoni.com/

crash 1 - only way to fix valorant seems to be not play the game.
crash 3 & 4 were Nvidia drivers, you have newer drivers since then so might be fixed?
Some of the BSOD prior to this week could have been PSU.

Oct 8, 2020
Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you do us a favour and uninstall valorant until we have fixed the BSOD problem as it could be causing some of them as well. Once we know PC doesn't bsod without it on PC, you can put it back on... just know it could be cause.