Question Very high temperatures and fan speed RTX 2080

Nov 18, 2021
Hello since a while ago my RTX 2080 is getting very high temperatures in games (for example apex, pubg) both in menu and ingame.
On desktop my temperatures are around 40C and ~1000 RPM, when I'm launching any of mentioned game (probably any other more gpu heavy game as well) my temperatures are getting as high as 87C and fan speed is at 4000 RPM(!), it kinda sounds like a very loud vacuum cleaner lol.
My friend with the same graphic card (both are GIGABYTE GAMING OC) is getting around 70*C with fan speed at 2000 RPM (he's getting almost identical temperatures on desktop as me).
Here's a screenshot from hwinfo after briefly turning on apex:
View: https://i.imgur.com/jkoB23d.png

Temperatures go up to 87 after playing a few mins and fan speed stays at 3000-4000 RPM.
Since I mostly play CS:GO I noticed this problem basically now as I wanted to play pubg and fans were getting very very loud.
I played apex like 1-2 years ago and everything was fine, fans were hardly audible.
GPU model: RTX 2080 GIGABYTE GAMING OC
I have this card for like 3,5 years.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have this card for like 3,5 years.
Ehh, that's about right for a new thermal paste application.
NT-H2, Gelid GC Extreme, Prolimatech PK-3, Kingpin KPx, and Cooler Master Mastergel Pro V2... all good ones for this.

You MIGHT even have to replace thermal pads, but it is a pain in the butt to do, so try the repaste first and see what happens.
If you're not comfortable with taking the card apart, well... sell it and get another? The repaste can be someone else's problem... that would be a little screwed up though.

Nov 18, 2021
Ehh, that's about right for a new thermal paste application.
NT-H2, Gelid GC Extreme, Prolimatech PK-3, Kingpin KPx, and Cooler Master Mastergel Pro V2... all good ones for this.

You MIGHT even have to replace thermal pads, but it is a pain in the butt to do, so try the repaste first and see what happens.
If you're not comfortable with taking the card apart, well... sell it and get another? The repaste can be someone else's problem... that would be a little screwed up though.
I will not touch my gpu but I could give it to like computer service or something and they will probably change it but are you sure that's the cause of it? Since doing that will lose my warranty which I have for 6 more months I believe.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You've had it for at least a few years...
-Paste expires after a while; people who only keep gpus for about a year or 2 usually don't get to see this happen.
-I trust you've been cleaning the card regularly - aerosol can, perhaps? Not the best way to clean it, but it's better than not doing anything at all.
-You're not running the card in an airflow-starved chassis, are you? You can have a good quality cooler, but choke it and hurt its performance.

If you don't wish to void the warranty, then yes, I suppose its best you left the store or manufacturer to deal with it.

Nov 18, 2021
You've had it for at least a few years...
-Paste expires after a while; people who only keep gpus for about a year or 2 usually don't get to see this happen.
-I trust you've been cleaning the card regularly - aerosol can, perhaps? Not the best way to clean it, but it's better than not doing anything at all.
-You're not running the card in an airflow-starved chassis, are you? You can have a good quality cooler, but choke it and hurt its performance.

If you don't wish to void the warranty, then yes, I suppose its best you left the store or manufacturer to deal with it.
I have good case with good airflow, as you said yourself I had this card for years and the problem occured not too long ago.
No, I have never cleaned my gpu, do I look like someone who has any idea or desire to do anything in this matter?
Me run pc, me play games, me shutdown pc, me sleep.
I have about half a year of warranty left, is there really a point to really care about it now?
If I just give it to computer service for changing termal pads and whatever else will it solve the problem for sure?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How could I have possibly known?
I can only speculate based on the info you provide, sorry...

No, I have never cleaned my gpu, do I look like someone who has any idea or desire to do anything in this matter?
The gpu and other hardware should've gotten a blast of aerosol at least once a year... the interior of the card's likely caked with dust.

Hotspot is the hottest sensor off the gpu die. High hotspot can occur from:
-paste no longer doing its job of aiding in transferring heat from the die to cooler cold plate
-gpu sag over time, which can cause the cooler cold plate to not sit as flush with the die as it once did. Happens more often with big, chunky 3 slot cards. The method of plugging in auxiliary psu cables could also do it.

TL;DR: take 'er to a PC shop for a cleaning and gpu repaste. Done.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Can also check software. Some motherboard software such as Asus Armory Crate or MSI Dragon Center can and will change how things work, all done with updates you don't realize you get half the time. Even changes to nvidia drivers can do it with their Game Ready updates, driving gpus to higher performance requirements for no real gains. If you check the update history and event viewer history, see if any changes were made starting about the same time as your temps went nuts.