Very old computer working?

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
You guys had a class entirely for geometry in school?? In my highschool there was just Math. Thats it, no trig, no geometry, just Math. They also had a calculus course that would get your out of first year calc in university.

Our HS had a class for each topic. Finding the answer was always more important then the actual answer. Sometimes I would "cheat" to learn and work from the answer backwards.

Plus you had to show your work.

My high school was in a community college so we went to half high school classes and we could also start our majors with our college classes. Needless to say if I took advantage of this and what major I'm going for.

CodeJunkie

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
interesting approach, my high school had an agreement with a local community college that gave us credit for certain classes taught in our high school. Each class was $10 for "book rental", I took all that I could and entered college about halfway through my sophmore year credit wise.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well I may have had only 1 HS math class, but in college I got a Bachelors in CS in 2 years (crazy compressed program). The funny thing is that it is more recognized that CS bachelors from many major universities. Anyways, in 2 years we must have had at least 8 math classes (including 3 semesters of calc) and 2 algorithms courses. Plus we learned like 10 programming languages (lets see, C, C++, C#, Java, Ada (worst language ever), Pascal, PHP, Cold Fusion, Sql, Assmbly) not to mention all of the data comm protocols (had to read packets and state all info contained). We even did network sniffing to steal passwords as an assignment.

Hah, mine was free, books included. You just had to qualify and even then you were picked by lottery.
Took Java, Thermodynamics, PHP, basic Engineering Principles, Physics and the AC/DC Circuit classes in the three years I was there

CodeJunkie

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
there can't be a language worse than scheme (based on lisp)! I had two semesters based on it and the prof looked like a white version of the guy from the Jeffersons (bald on top, fro around the sides), made it really hard to concentrate when I wasn't snoring.

we didn't get to sniff passwords but we had to implement router, switch, and bridge in C then test by sending messages to connected chat clients.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I ended up specializing in multi-tiered enterprise blah blah (writing backend code for websites mostly) so I didn't do much data comm stuff (other classmates did similar projects).

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
We had a entire week of classes on how to hack wired and wireless networks in my IT class. That probably had th best record of attendance then anyother class.

I want that class :lol: . The closest I'll get is probably the Cisco networking class that I'll take in my sophmore year (I'm a freshman right nwo). I wonder when this thread will hit 50 pages??

CodeJunkie

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
given the current growth rate ov over three pages per day I guess we will hit fifty tomorrow :lol:

shouldn't this be sticky by now? not that it needs it, since it always near the top.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
someone said earlier in response to my post about winxp:

Just for future reference. You can boot from windows XP upgrade and install XP. It will ask you to insert a previous version of windows and thats it.
You didnt need to go though all that.

Likewise, you can copy the cab files from windows98 over to the C drive and install it as a full version, no upgrade needed.

Thanks for the advice, although since I have a full version of winxp (and I am migrating to linux anyways) the point is now moot ;D

Also, I can't understand why anyone would dislike calculus or differential equations. Those are some of my favorite classes :D I guess I am a bit biased though because I have always loved math and because I actually put it to use in my Computer Engineering classes.

Also, I think it would be really neat to learn to hack wireless networks. Not that I am aspiring to be a black hat, but I think if I knew a bit more about how the deed is done, I could more easily armor myself against attack

-Zorak

CodeJunkie

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I just couldn't get diff Eq which is why I hate it so much. I have a friend who is now a math teacher who loves calc/diff Eq/statistics but she also scored way higher than me on the geek test.

I leave for four hours and this is the extent that you people have extended this forum?
[/readying pimp hand]
Let us bow our heads for the Pimps prayer...

In other news:
Microsoft is set to release an HD-DVD upgrade to its media center, gaming device, the Xbox 360. The HD-DVD add-on would be an external accessory, and is expected late November in Japan for about ¥20,000, and in the US, about $170.
Microsoft will also be releasing a Software Update to the Xbox, that will allow full 1080p output, with automactic 1080p upscaling. However, they have not announced if future games will have native support at 1080p

Who here has a 360 anyway?

I always hated the actual process of networking a bunch of computers printers and drives together. Anytime some asked for help in doing a network I always fosted the job off on someone else.
Now hacking networks.... :D

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I started one of those Cisco classes, and learned a lot before I got kicked out for what the school administration deemed "compromising the school network"... What? I just informed some people that the network technician of our building was a moron. These people? Every windows computer in our school district. Including all the administration in our building, the high school across the street, and the administration building across town. Thank goodness for windows SP1 and net send...

Status
Not open for further replies.