Very old computer working?

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I wonder who'll be first to post on the 100th page

Probably you. By any chance, does this thread load really slow for you, too?? It's super slow for me, and that's why I missed out on the first post on the 50th page. With me, it takes 15 seconds between when i hit the "submit" button, and when the "your message has been entered successfully" screen shows up.

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
hey all....................

hi all................

good day all...............

.........must help thread grow and grow IF we talk to it like a plant we will get it to grow and feed it dot's
................................................................................................................................................................
.........................,....................................................................................

oops | a burp scuse me :roll:

I'm pretty much done here unless we reach page 55/60 or we start talking about things that actually bear some brain cell devolpment. Peace and keep it going.

I love this thread. Good luck on the next 3 pages. And for the love of Buddha someone say something important.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
this a very old post now.why do you keep posting it???quit wasting our time with this crap.c'mon man like how many pages are there already on this particular post???what,50-60 or so??post something new for once.

Dahak

EVGA NF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4 S-939
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I think it would be cool if this became the longest thread on THG and was stickied for infamy and we wouldn't have been able to do it without all of the help from these 'stop posting' people. The irony would be sweet.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
EDIT: good news guys! i plugged it! and it worked! but 30 mins after, it started to do a weird sound, then a huge sound, then it got powered off. I retried to plug in, no power. the day after, i plugged it, and it worked... but the OS don't boot.. Ill need to get a new hard drive..

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
dude people would get insulted if you tried to give that to them, just toss it in the garbage and be done, stop trying to make a buck at someones else expense.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
sounds like PSU is dead, i killed mine by setting it 110v but i live in UK oops./

non the less wh would you want it, its not old enough to be a pricelss relic, or new enough to have any real use

HyperBladeST

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
This thread will soon be a "priceless relic" if we keep posting in it.

But since it's in the CPU section and most peoples want a serious discussion : How long can a CPU last ? I got a server that is running a P4 1.6 on a Asus P4T-E mobo and I'm surprised it's not dead yet. It was used as the family computer for at least 3 years and now it's running 24/7 since last month. I'd like to had some RAM but I don't ant to invest 150$+ (damn RAMBUS) if it's gonna die in 1 year.

So how long do you think I can keep it running ?

Other info : OS is Ubuntu. Running a CSS server and a game of Progress Quest. PSU is an Antec, dunno which one it came with the SLK1650 case.

P.S. No I didn't waste my time reading all 33 pages. the first one and last one were enough.

gooman

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
Talk about funny stuff.

Hey..I bought a Pentium 120 Dell computer ...I don't know how long ago; when they were new I guess (12 years ago?). I handed it down to my parents about 8 or so years ago. I was back at my parents house last year and was blown away. I asked my mom, what they were using for a computer (they still have dial up). She said..."the computer you gave us". I said...."What!". I talked to my sister later that week and she said "No, I had their computer upgraded last year". I figured...good ..."what did you get them"...she says..."I gave them my old Pentium 200 MHz". I busted out laughing...its good to see my parents are using the latest technology. 2007 and they use a Pentium 200 Mhz and don't have any real complaints... must be that generation of folks I guess.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

No but really, i could make some bucks of it instead of throwing it into the trash can... BTW, don't tell the mods but this topic was locked, but since they re-built the forums, all topics seems unlocked... Oh well.

My computer's PSU seems good... If it makes weird noises, it msut be HDD related, isn't?

:lol: :lol: :lol: YOU JUST TOLD THE MODS YOURSELF:lol: :lol: :lol:

Id give you the trophy for that, but we dont have it anymore.

Im not gonna lock it, but someone else may

Dunno about priceless but definitely a relic.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
i remember this thread. Man is he still messing with that piece of crap? You should just play with it until it dies. Nobody will buy it to use it, I'd give you 10 bucks just to blow it up. Too bad you're in montreal..

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I am posting here to inform everyone that I have made it through this thread. It has taken a considerable amount of time to get through it, and at the end of it, I am Amazed...

There should be an award or something for reading the whole thing.

Now lets get back to the fun stuff, eh? How many explosives would it take to blow up an old computer in an impressive manor?

Well here's my post, keeping this behemoth of a thread alive and killing another kitten...

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Here ya go.
IEI_Trophy_Or.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.