Question VGA Status LED sometimes lights up on motherboard, but there's no frontend issues.

Homeless1

Commendable
Jun 18, 2020
The VGA LED on my motherboard lights up often on start-up, but I can't see any real problems after it boots into Windows. The PC speaker gives 1 long, 2 short beeps (AMI BIOS Beep Codes) indicating a video card memory issue, but my PC works perfectly fine and there's no issues with my display or any other component. Occasionally, my computer passes POST, gives a single beep, and starts like normal. The display drivers are up-to-date (NVIDIA 527.56). The issue began about 2 weeks ago.

The only physical damage I can see are 2 tiny scratches on the MOBO traces near the PCIE slot, but those were around since I built the PC in 2019 with no issues at all. Should I be worried?

TROUBLESHOOTING: FAILED ATTEMPTS
  • Re-seated the GPU and PCIe connectors
  • Replaced GPU with known working one
  • Switched from DisplayPort to HDMI cables
  • Re-seated DP and HDMI cable
  • Switched from PC monitor to TV
PC SPECS
General use system primarily for gaming.

CPU
: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard (rev. 1.0)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus STRIX GAMING OC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Razer Viper Wired Optical Mouse

Last edited:
Which Motherboard is that ? List the exact Model number, and provide FULL PC specs as well. Which GPU and PSU are you having ? If your GPU requires an external PCIe power connector, then have you plugged it in properly ?

Properly check all the connections on the mobo, and also try to reseat the GPU back on the PCIe slot. Power down the PC, remove the GPU and PCIe cables if applicable, then reseat the GPU back on the slot firmly.

Is this system for Gaming or some other purpose ? Once the system boots, can you play games or do any other work properly ?

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Do you see anything on screen while the LED is on? If not, it may be an issue of the MB taking a moment to register that there is a screen. And that could be due to the cable. So I would try to reseat the cable on both ends. And if that doesn't change anything, if the option is available, I would e.g. use a HDMI cable instead of a DP one (or vice versa), to at least rule out that it may be a screen cable-connector issue.

Other than that, I would update the BIOS/UEFI if it isn't already updated. Usually can't go wrong with that.

Homeless1

Commendable
Jun 18, 2020
Do you see anything on screen while the LED is on? If not, it may be an issue of the MB taking a moment to register that there is a screen. And that could be due to the cable. So I would try to reseat the cable on both ends(...)Other than that, I would update the BIOS/UEFI if it isn't already updated. Usually can't go wrong with that.

The problem is erratic so I have to interact with the PC for a day or two to confirm, but re-seating the DP cable may have helped. Could of also fixed itself. I'll be back if nothing (or something) turns up.

No, I usaully don't see anything when the computer boots until Windows is loaded. Other times the screen lets me see the whole process and displays the company splash logo. It's pretty random.
Oh and the BIOS is updated so that's eliminated.

Last edited:

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
The problem is erratic...
That may indicate that it is due to the cable. I have cable binders to run the cables at the table so that they don't hang loose where I may accidentally pull on them e.g. when stretching my legs.

Of course, not given at this point that it was the cable in your case. But these cable connections seem to be designed to come off when there is a pull on the cable, as to not damage the connector, which then can lead to the cable not being seated 100% anymore after a minor pull though. Which is why I usually check that first.