[SOLVED] Video artifacts in all youtube videos (other platforms and gaming runs ok)

Maegirom

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Hi there. From a time to now I'm having video artifacts (you know, random rectangles, lines, bad compression squares...) in almost every youtube video (on PC). At first I thought my vcard was dying, but heavy gaming, other platforms (FB, daylimotion...) and local videos (VLC mainly) play flawless. I have already tried to turn hardware acceleration OFF in chrome. In fact, it's even worse this way. I can't asure but I think it happens in all resolutions.
My internet connection is ok, the video preload is ample.
My gear is:

intel i7 10700k on Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING. 32Gb RAM.

My vcard is a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 G1 gaming 8GB DDR5

Any ideas?

Solution
I would start with DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers.

After that if it still happens, I would try the integrated graphics and see if the issue persists which if it does, it means it's software related.
If it doesn't... I would suppose it's hardware related (1070 being the issue) which in that case other than reseating it I can't think of anything else.
I would start with DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers.

After that if it still happens, I would try the integrated graphics and see if the issue persists which if it does, it means it's software related.
If it doesn't... I would suppose it's hardware related (1070 being the issue) which in that case other than reseating it I can't think of anything else.

Solution

Maegirom

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks for the reply
I have reinstaled drivers and no changes. Anyway, I won't worry. I'm pretty sure it's a youtube codec problem, so nothing serious. Local videos play fine, and games too.
I've been watching random videos from random channels and many of them are displayed correctly. No single artifact. SO That leads me to think that just by accident, the videos/channels I use to watch have some CODEC issue with my system.
Is there anyway to know what codec is running when you are playing a video on youtube?
Thanks

Maegirom

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Ok, it seems it's a codec problem indeed. The issue appears in AV1 codec youtube videos. vp9 for example, are fine. If I download a vp9 and an AV1 video and play them on VLC, both of them show the pertinent codec, and both of them play fine. So the problem is with AV1 codec, but only on youtube, not local.
IF it's a youtube problem (not mine) Shouldn't there be more people with this problem?
Thanks