Viewsonic VP150M, any Experience ? Please comment

ken1971

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
I 've heard of this LCD monitor for months. But none of my friends has come across the performance of it.
Anyone can tell me whether it is good for 3D gaming and DVD playing ? Thanks

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I have used the VP150M- I was lured by its response time (you won;t find many monitors out there with a response time of 25ms- except for some Sony's with response time of 20ms0. In digital mode, the picture is quite good (I am a graphics designer, and serious gamer), but often I found that in color ramps (starts out black and gradually turns white) the VP150M has trouble. This will affect you when you play games, etc. Personally, I would not really reccomend this monitor, since you also tend to have to view it at weird angles to see all of its shades of grey. I would reccomend an Eizo L371- just to help you out, it's response time is 35ms- but that is fine- you really won't notice it. It has AMAZING picture quality when in digital mode (in analog is has color discontinuities).
Hope this helps

ken1971

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Hi Flamethrower205, There is another candidate in my region : Sharp LL-T1610W stems from the Black TFT family, would you please share your experience. In fact I have also noticed the color ramp problem and was recommended by local detail the above Sharp model. What do you think ?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hehe, odd how things coincide- I was REALLY researching that LCD b/c I planned to buy it, until I heard of the Eizo. The contrast on the Sharp 16" is decent, although I personally would reccomend 350:1, but 300:1 is still great (considering Iiyama offers 150:1 on some of their LCD's!). The brightness is excellent, and the viewing angle is fine, as are the number of colors- it is true color, but then again almost all LCD's are these days. The DVI port is a definite plus, but the only thing that bothers me about that LCd is its response time (not listed, but I found it out). It is 42ms, which is kinda on the slow side. Your call, but that is the one thing that turned me of about that LCD. Remember, in order not to have annoying scaling errors, you'll have to play games at 1280x1024- make sure your video card won't have a problem with more demanding games. That is what I can tell you from looking at the specs and talking with tech support. I haven't actually taken the monitor and played games on it- I would suggest u wait a few weeks at least (or if you are in a rush, get the L371 from Eizo). This way, reviews will probably come out about teh Sharo 16" LCD. I'll be on teh lookout for any that come out.

ken1971

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Ooops, Eizo distributor notified me that they planned to import the new model L461 which is 16" and 0.248ot pich.. and price over the L371 by only U.S 150.. The spec. be really cool. There are so many models, I can only afford one. It really kills me. Looking forward to your report. Thanks again

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I was also looking at that 16" model, and it looks pretty nice, except for the response time, which is 45ms! The viewing angles are slightly better, and it is larger by an inch. However, the L471 has a lesser contrast ratio than the L371; the L371 is 350:1, where as the L471 is 300:1- but still it's good. Otherwise, it looks like a good LCD- except that I haven't really seen any reviews of it- and although the specs may be great, the monitor can still be bad. Up to you, but the L471 does have a 10 ms higher response time, and a lesser contrast ratio. Personally, I am buying the L371, because it has been proven as an awesome monitor in everywhere I have looked.

ken1971

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Hi, I am now using ATI RADEON display card, but it does not have DVI output, I wonder this would descale the actual performance of EIZO L371, what do you think? Should I switch to Geforce 3 ? Do you mind telling me which card you're employing now ?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Currently, I am using a Leadtek GeForce 3 with DVI output. The L371 has the best image quality when it's connected using DVI, but I really wouldn't recomend it for someone who would use it via an analog connector (it seems the folks at Eizo focused more on Digital display- which is fine considering what a great image you get if you use the DVI). I would reccomend that you get a GeForce 3, but either from Leadtek or Hercules since they are the only ones who provide you with DVI port. If you get the L371 and use a DVI port, I am sure you will be VERY satisfied.

Looking for wife able to cook, fish, have boat and motor. Please send pic. of boat and motor.

TRENDING THREADS