1. What is it? I'd was told many moons ago that that virtual memory
error thing was a virus but is that right?

2. If it's legit, why have I suddenly not got enough? I have a 2.6gig
processor, 128mb video memory, 512mb RAM, 40gig hard drive and in the
last couple days, I've been getting an error saying that I don't have
enough virtual memory and requests for other applications may be
denied.

3. If I don't have enough, how does one go about getting more?

~*~
vecki

"vecki" <vecsta02@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 1. What is it? I'd was told many moons ago that that virtual memory
> error thing was a virus but is that right?
>
> 2. If it's legit, why have I suddenly not got enough? I have a 2.6gig
> processor, 128mb video memory, 512mb RAM, 40gig hard drive and in the
> last couple days, I've been getting an error saying that I don't have
> enough virtual memory and requests for other applications may be
> denied.
>
> 3. If I don't have enough, how does one go about getting more?
>
> ~*~
> vecki

Virtual memory is what Widows uses on your hard drive instead of RAM.
You need more RAM or more free hard drive space

vecki wrote:

> 3. If I don't have enough, how does one go about getting more?

Control panel, system, advanced, performance, settings.

Gareeth

vecki wrote:
> 1. What is it? I'd was told many moons ago that that virtual memory
> error thing was a virus but is that right?

Virtual Memory is space on the HDD that is used like normal RAM. Not a
virus.

> 3. If I don't have enough, how does one go about getting more?

It depends on your OS, but it's mostly the same for all vesions of win. For
XP Pro: Right click my computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance Settings,
Advanced, Virtual Memory, Change, Then set a new size. I have mine at
1024-2048, which is more than enough, but you can set it to whatever you
want as long as its big enough.

On 17 Apr 2005 23:00:06 -0700, "vecki" <vecsta02@hotmail.com> wrote:

>1. What is it? I'd was told many moons ago that that virtual memory
>error thing was a virus but is that right?

Simulated memory. The computer uses a portion of your harddrive as
memory. However, a harddrive's read-time is about 10 mili-seconds.
Ordinary memory has a latency counted in nanoseconds, so the
difference in performance is really, really vast. Nano is a million
times faster than mili.

>2. If it's legit, why have I suddenly not got enough? I have a 2.6gig
>processor, 128mb video memory, 512mb RAM, 40gig hard drive and in the
>last couple days, I've been getting an error saying that I don't have
>enough virtual memory and requests for other applications may be
>denied.
>
>3. If I don't have enough, how does one go about getting more?

Could be a windows screwup, or your virtual memory could be set low.
You have a lot of system memory though, so it could be that something
is eating it up. If I were you I would click CTRL+SHIFT+DEL and have a
look at the PROCESSES and PERFORMANCE tabs, after you get that
message. Do as Gareeth said, and go set your virtual memory. It should
be set to 2,5 times your system memory. In other words 1280MB min
-1280MB max.

Will Bradshaw wrote:
> vecki wrote:
>> 1. What is it? I'd was told many moons ago that that virtual memory
>> error thing was a virus but is that right?
>
> Virtual Memory is space on the HDD that is used like normal RAM. Not a
> virus.
>
>> 3. If I don't have enough, how does one go about getting more?
>
> It depends on your OS, but it's mostly the same for all vesions of
> win. For XP Pro: Right click my computer, Properties, Advanced,
> Performance Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory, Change, Then set a
> new size. I have mine at 1024-2048, which is more than enough, but
> you can set it to whatever you want as long as its big enough.

I've found that virtual memory is faster if you set the minimum and the
maximum to the same number. In your case, I'd set them both to 2048. That
way Windows doesn't have to take the time to decide how much to use. It can
make a big difference in operating speed if you do this.

Jeanie

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:54:17 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

>I've found that virtual memory is faster if you set the minimum and the
>maximum to the same number. In your case, I'd set them both to 2048. That
>way Windows doesn't have to take the time to decide how much to use. It can
>make a big difference in operating speed if you do this.

I think that's because the computer doesn't resize or move them, and
simply leaves it in the same place, where it does fragment etc.

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:54:17 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:
>
>> I've found that virtual memory is faster if you set the minimum and
>> the maximum to the same number. In your case, I'd set them both to
>> 2048. That way Windows doesn't have to take the time to decide how
>> much to use. It can make a big difference in operating speed if you
>> do this.
>
> I think that's because the computer doesn't resize or move them, and
> simply leaves it in the same place, where it does fragment etc.

That may well be true. I try to defrag fairly regularly, though. The Sims
is horrible for fragmenting the drive.

Jeanie