I believe I've been hit with a virus. After surfing the net and exiting AOL,
my desktop wallpaper went to black. I restarted and an error came up that
said I was missing the wininet.dll file. I tried to do a search to see where
it might be but found search did not work. I restarted in Safe mode with
prompt and found a file called wininet(3).dll. Thinking the virus renamed it,
I renamed it wininet.dll and restarted.What I got was my wallpaper back but
many different things that didn't work and I now have a folder pane on the
left side of my desktop that I can't seem to get rid of. The majority of my
desktop icons won't execute when I double click on them.When I right click
and look at the properties, the target shows the correct path for the
programs but they won't execute when double clicked.
When I click Start and go to programs, no programs appear - it says
"empty". Clicking Control panel gives me nothing. Running system restore
gives me a blank system restore window. The "My computer" icon disappeared
and is seemed to be replaced with a folder icon with no name.
Navigating to my mp3 file folders and double clicking a mp3 file gets me
Windows Media player(my default) but an error that says it encountered an
unknown error and the mp3 file doesn't play.
These are a few problems. Any help would be appreciated. So far I'm
reluctant to do a clean install because of the consequences to my data. but
it seems like something needs to be fixed maybe in the registry.

"thegoose" <thegoose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I believe I've been hit with a virus. After surfing the net and exiting
>AOL,
> my desktop wallpaper went to black. I restarted and an error came up that
> said I was missing the wininet.dll file. I tried to do a search to see
> where
> it might be but found search did not work. I restarted in Safe mode with
> prompt and found a file called wininet(3).dll. Thinking the virus renamed
> it,
> I renamed it wininet.dll and restarted.What I got was my wallpaper back
> but
> many different things that didn't work and I now have a folder pane on the
> left side of my desktop that I can't seem to get rid of. The majority of
> my
> desktop icons won't execute when I double click on them.When I right click
> and look at the properties, the target shows the correct path for the
> programs but they won't execute when double clicked.
> When I click Start and go to programs, no programs appear - it says
> "empty". Clicking Control panel gives me nothing. Running system restore
> gives me a blank system restore window. The "My computer" icon disappeared
> and is seemed to be replaced with a folder icon with no name.
> Navigating to my mp3 file folders and double clicking a mp3 file gets me
> Windows Media player(my default) but an error that says it encountered an
> unknown error and the mp3 file doesn't play.
> These are a few problems. Any help would be appreciated. So far I'm
> reluctant to do a clean install because of the consequences to my data.
> but
> it seems like something needs to be fixed maybe in the registry.

Looks like you need a better antivirus solution than the one you are
using...

Bobby

What happened when you ran your updated antivirus software.

"thegoose" <thegoose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I believe I've been hit with a virus. After surfing the net and exiting
>AOL,
> my desktop wallpaper went to black. I restarted and an error came up that
> said I was missing the wininet.dll file. I tried to do a search to see
> where
> it might be but found search did not work. I restarted in Safe mode with
> prompt and found a file called wininet(3).dll. Thinking the virus renamed
> it,
> I renamed it wininet.dll and restarted.What I got was my wallpaper back
> but
> many different things that didn't work and I now have a folder pane on the
> left side of my desktop that I can't seem to get rid of. The majority of
> my
> desktop icons won't execute when I double click on them.When I right click
> and look at the properties, the target shows the correct path for the
> programs but they won't execute when double clicked.
> When I click Start and go to programs, no programs appear - it says
> "empty". Clicking Control panel gives me nothing. Running system restore
> gives me a blank system restore window. The "My computer" icon disappeared
> and is seemed to be replaced with a folder icon with no name.
> Navigating to my mp3 file folders and double clicking a mp3 file gets me
> Windows Media player(my default) but an error that says it encountered an
> unknown error and the mp3 file doesn't play.
> These are a few problems. Any help would be appreciated. So far I'm
> reluctant to do a clean install because of the consequences to my data.
> but
> it seems like something needs to be fixed maybe in the registry.

It cleaned up several viruses.

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> What happened when you ran your updated antivirus software.

> "thegoose" <thegoose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I believe I've been hit with a virus. After surfing the net and exiting
> >AOL,
> > my desktop wallpaper went to black. I restarted and an error came up that
> > said I was missing the wininet.dll file. I tried to do a search to see
> > where
> > it might be but found search did not work. I restarted in Safe mode with
> > prompt and found a file called wininet(3).dll. Thinking the virus renamed
> > it,
> > I renamed it wininet.dll and restarted.What I got was my wallpaper back
> > but
> > many different things that didn't work and I now have a folder pane on the
> > left side of my desktop that I can't seem to get rid of. The majority of
> > my
> > desktop icons won't execute when I double click on them.When I right click
> > and look at the properties, the target shows the correct path for the
> > programs but they won't execute when double clicked.
> > When I click Start and go to programs, no programs appear - it says
> > "empty". Clicking Control panel gives me nothing. Running system restore
> > gives me a blank system restore window. The "My computer" icon disappeared
> > and is seemed to be replaced with a folder icon with no name.
> > Navigating to my mp3 file folders and double clicking a mp3 file gets me
> > Windows Media player(my default) but an error that says it encountered an
> > unknown error and the mp3 file doesn't play.
> > These are a few problems. Any help would be appreciated. So far I'm
> > reluctant to do a clean install because of the consequences to my data.
> > but
> > it seems like something needs to be fixed maybe in the registry.

Another oddity with this problem that may help - The icons are not visible on
my desktop but are visible on two other users of my laptop.

In article <793279AD-0797-486B-84B1-3949B294720A@microsoft.com>,
thegoose@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Another oddity with this problem that may help - The icons are not visible on
> my desktop but are visible on two other users of my laptop.

Create a new account for yourself and copy your profile to it, that
should fix your icons.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me