Question Voltage control suddenly disabled on MSI laptop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notsohumblegod

Commendable
May 21, 2021
Hello.

My CPU suddenly locking FIVR control to undervolt, no update, nothing new added/modified to the system (BIOS included)
I have successfully undervolt my CPU before as you can see on the picture, but now it do nothing to CPU, even locking me out from modifying voltage.

Here's things i did but still didn't resolve the problem
  1. VBS disabled (i manually upgrade from windows 10 to 11, so VBS is disabled on default)
  2. Enabling overclock option from Advanced BIOS
  3. Enabling voltage info on advanced BIOS
  4. Trying to undervolt straight from BIOS but has no effect
  5. Reinstalling ThrottleStop and making new profile, still greyed out
Note: I was successfully undervolting before on windows 11, so i don't think OS system is the culprit - no win 11 update/rollback whatsoever

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Laptop model: MSI Thin GF65 10UE
  • CPU Intel I5 10200H @4.0 Ghz (4c 8t)
  • GPU RTX 3060 Mobile 75w
  • RAM 2x8 GB DDR4 @2933 mhz
  • Storage: 1x512GB SSD M.2 NVME
  • OS Windows 11 Pro 21H2 22000.675
  • 180w MSI Adapter

Last edited:
Use ThrottleStop 9.6

ThrottleStop cannot disable CPU voltage control. It is usually the BIOS that sets the lock bit. Some computers can be unlocked by doing a sleep resume cycle.

The FIVR screenshot you posted shows an undervolt is being applied. It also shows that voltage control is Locked. It is either the BIOS, Windows 11 or some program on your computer that is doing this. It is impossible forThrottleStop to lock the voltage control register.

notsohumblegod

Commendable
May 21, 2021
Use ThrottleStop 9.6

ThrottleStop cannot disable CPU voltage control. It is usually the BIOS that sets the lock bit. Some computers can be unlocked by doing a sleep resume cycle.

The FIVR screenshot you posted shows an undervolt is being applied. It also shows that voltage control is Locked. It is either the BIOS, Windows 11 or some program on your computer that is doing this. It is impossible forThrottleStop to lock the voltage control register.
I have updated my ThrottleStop to version 9.6, but I am still encountering issues and I am aware that this is not related to the application itself.

My concern is that, despite having unlocked voltage control from the BIOS, I still cannot access the slider. There's must be something wrong with BIOS even though i already tried reset to factory settings and change it back to undervolt mode

or if someone can point me that i am stupid and tell me the undervolt is working perfectly fine and it's just my laptop not good at designing airflow

Last edited:
Some laptops only allow undervolting while you are in the BIOS. After that, before you boot up, any further changes are locked out.

The top middle of the ThrottleStop FIVR window reports whether the CPU voltage control settings are Locked or not.

Are you using any MSI control software on your computer? Perhaps that program is locking the voltage settings. It is either that or the voltage unlock setting in the BIOS is not working correctly.

Post a screenshot of the ThrottleStop 9.6 FIVR window.

I am aware that this is not related to the application itself

ThrottleStop disabling FIVR undervolt suddenly

The title of the question you posted suggests that ThrottleStop is locking out CPU voltage control. I just wanted everyone to know that ThrottleStop can report this problem. It cannot cause this problem.

notsohumblegod

Commendable
May 21, 2021
The title of the question you posted suggests that ThrottleStop is locking out CPU voltage control. I just wanted everyone to know that ThrottleStop can report this problem. It cannot cause this problem.
I do apologize with my poor choice of words, edited the title to avoid misunderstanding.

Are you using any MSI control software on your computer?
Did you mean MSI Dragon Center? If that so, yes i use that.

Currently not with the device at the moment, i will provide screenshot in a few hours, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.