vsdatant (or...I would rather learn Egyptian Hieroglyphs!)

What is "vsdatant" ?
I get this error message on shutdown and boot-up, which reads:
"The vsdatant service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified. "
It is then followed by this:
"The TrueVector Internet Monitor service depends on the vsdatant service
which failed to start because of the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified. "

N.B. Osiris couldn't be contacted for comments :~)

--
Rgds
Poltonis

Hi

True Vector is part of Zone Alarm. See if the following link helps:

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=vsdatant+service&start=0&scoring=d&

Failing that, try uninstalling/reinstalling ZoneAlarm.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote in message
> What is "vsdatant" ?
> I get this error message on shutdown and boot-up, which reads:
> "The vsdatant service failed to start due to the following error:
> The system cannot find the file specified. "
> It is then followed by this:
> "The TrueVector Internet Monitor service depends on the vsdatant service
> which failed to start because of the following error:
> The system cannot find the file specified. "
>
> N.B. Osiris couldn't be contacted for comments :~)
>
> --
> Rgds
> Poltonis

Seems you have hit the nail on the head Will!
I did uninstall ZoneAlarm a few days ago and replaced it Microsoft
AntiSpyware.
Intend to have a look at the site indicated before commenting further.
Could you please bookmark my post for further developments?
Thanks
--
Rgds
Poltonis

In news:7A8A63FA-717E-4E4D-BDDF-B407EE5DE98C@microsoft.com,
Poltonis <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> typed:

> I did uninstall ZoneAlarm a few days ago and replaced it
> Microsoft
> AntiSpyware.

Uh-oh! That's a little like replacing Microsoft Word with Excel.

ZoneAlarm is a firewall and Microsoft AntiSpyware is (obviously)
an antispyware product. Those are two different functions and you
should have both types of products installed.

You actually need three kinds of products to protect your
computer:

1. An anti-virus program.

2. A firewall (although one comes with Windows XP, almost any of
the third-party products, such as ZoneAlarm, is a better
choice).

3. Anti-spyware software. Here, you should actually run several
products, not just one, since no single product catches
everything. I recommend adding Spyware Blaster, Adaware, and
Spybot Search and Destroy.

Also note that it's very important to frequently check for and
install updates to all these products.

Poltonis wrote:
> Seems you have hit the nail on the head Will!
> I did uninstall ZoneAlarm a few days ago and replaced it Microsoft
> AntiSpyware.
> Intend to have a look at the site indicated before commenting further.
> Could you please bookmark my post for further developments?
> Thanks

Beside the idiocy of replacing a firewall for a AntiSpyware Program, you
are using one that can't be trusted. MS recently updated MSAS to
recommend ignoring quite a few spyware programs.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Thanks guys: I make no excuses for my ignorance in these matters.
I assumed the Firewall that came with SP2 was enough and I also have NAV2005
Sytem Works. I installed ZoneAlarm to test it out and then uninstalled it so
as not to clutter the System too much.
As Ken indicated Spyware Blaster, Adaware, and Spybot Search and Destroy
are also at the gates.
But overall your replies were most helpful - and one learns something new on
each visit to this forum :~)

The next best thing is to re-install ZoneAlarm as Will suggested.
--
Rgds
Poltonis

"Poltonis" wrote:

> Seems you have hit the nail on the head Will!
> I did uninstall ZoneAlarm a few days ago and replaced it Microsoft
> AntiSpyware.
> Intend to have a look at the site indicated before commenting further.
> Could you please bookmark my post for further developments?
> Thanks
> --
> Rgds
> Poltonis
>

> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > True Vector is part of Zone Alarm. See if the following link helps:
> >
> > http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=vsdatant+service&start=0&scoring=d&
> >
> > Failing that, try uninstalling/reinstalling ZoneAlarm.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Will Denny
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > Please reply to the News Groups
> >

> > "Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote in message
> > > What is "vsdatant" ?
> > > I get this error message on shutdown and boot-up, which reads:
> > > "The vsdatant service failed to start due to the following error:
> > > The system cannot find the file specified. "
> > > It is then followed by this:
> > > "The TrueVector Internet Monitor service depends on the vsdatant service
> > > which failed to start because of the following error:
> > > The system cannot find the file specified. "
> > >
> > > N.B. Osiris couldn't be contacted for comments :~)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Rgds
> > > Poltonis

Hi

ZoneAlarm is a Firewall and the MS program is an anti spyware one. You
really need both installed as they are used for different purposes. Try
reinstalling ZoneAlarm - the error message could disappear.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote in message
> Seems you have hit the nail on the head Will!
> I did uninstall ZoneAlarm a few days ago and replaced it Microsoft
> AntiSpyware.
> Intend to have a look at the site indicated before commenting further.
> Could you please bookmark my post for further developments?
> Thanks
> --
> Rgds
> Poltonis
>

> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> True Vector is part of Zone Alarm. See if the following link helps:
>>
>> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=vsdatant+service&start=0&scoring=d&
>>
>> Failing that, try uninstalling/reinstalling ZoneAlarm.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote in message
>> > What is "vsdatant" ?
>> > I get this error message on shutdown and boot-up, which reads:
>> > "The vsdatant service failed to start due to the following error:
>> > The system cannot find the file specified. "
>> > It is then followed by this:
>> > "The TrueVector Internet Monitor service depends on the vsdatant
>> > service
>> > which failed to start because of the following error:
>> > The system cannot find the file specified. "
>> >
>> > N.B. Osiris couldn't be contacted for comments :~)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Rgds
>> > Poltonis

System is OK and the error message gone after reinstalling ZoneAlarm.
Thanks Will & Ken for sharing your knowledge.
--
Rgds
Poltonis

In news:73337995-19ED-45A1-BB67-D7D56E892F19@microsoft.com,
Poltonis <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> typed:

> System is OK and the error message gone after reinstalling
> ZoneAlarm.
> Thanks Will & Ken for sharing your knowledge.

You're welcome. Glad to help.