W2K do not load drivers for CD-ROM/CD-WRITER

torbjors

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2001
I have a serious problem with loading drivers for my CD-ROM and CD-WRITER. Device manager says error code 31. I've seen one post earlier about this, but no replies to it.

I bought a CD-WRITER (SONY CD-RW CRX140E, ide) and installed it as master on secondary IDE. My old CD-ROM was set as slave. Windows 2000 detected my CD-Writer immediately and everything seemed to be working fine. Then I installed WinOnCD writer software and Adaptec DirectCD. I don't know if it happened just after these installations, but i suddenly could not find the drive letters for either of the CD-ROM's. In device manager the drives are recognized, but drivers are not loaded (Code 31).

I've now used 6 hours troubleshooting this, searching for help on the web and so on.

What I have done without success:
*Uninstalled drivers. W2K finds new HW and installs drivers again, but it will not load them.
*Booted in safety mode. W2K would still not load the drivers.
*Disconnected one by one of the CD-ROM and CD-WRITER. The loading W2K with only one of them connected.
*Changed master/slave settings.
*Tried CD-WRITER as slave on PRIMARY IDE channel. W2K would still not load the driver.
*Flashed latest BIOS version for my motherboard. BIOS has always recognized both the devices during boot up...

What i know i have not tried is to run "format c:\", but i am hoping to avoid that option. I even don't know if that will help, i might end up in same problems anyway...

I'm hoping someone know how to fix this and will give me some help. I would really appreciate that, and i'll give you all my thanks in advance.

For information:
Motherboard: MSI K7T Pro, Duron 600Mhz,64MB SDRAM (waiting for additional 256MB:)
CD-ROM: Good old Goldstar GCD-R580B
CD-WRITER: SONY CRX140ERP
Hard drives: IBM DTLA 20GB + an old 1.2GB Seagate (master/slave on primary IDE).

Windows2000 is installed with service pack 1.

torbjors

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2001
I finally found the solution in a posting on computing.net

Here is the solution for everyone of you which encounters the same problems as me:
------------
pasted from http://computing.net/windows2000/wwwboard/forum/8648.html
------------
Name: Duane
Date: January 09, 2001 at 12:09:11 Pacific
Subject: CODE 31 WOES

Reply:
Go to Control Panel Select Add/Remove Software Choose Windows Media Player and click Remove - Check 'Allow Removal of Shared Components' Check the Adaptec CD-Burning plugin Once this is finished let the system reboot and the CD Rom should be back.