[SOLVED] WAN dropping connection on router

brandonbelrod

Commendable
Aug 17, 2017
The Issue:
I am having an issue where my router WAN connection light turns red randomly and I lose connection on wired and wireless devices. Nothing on the modem indicates issues and logging into my router only says "no internet connection". I have tried 2 different routers. The only way to fix the issue is to reset the modem. Resetting the router does nothing to fix the issue. There are a couple of strange things that always seem to be happening when it occurs.

Possibly Uncorrelated Observations:

1.) It always seems to be night when more people are on the network.
2.) It has only happened with my Xbox streaming Netflix. The Xbox is wired to the router. Playing games on the Xbox has never set it off. Other devices streaming Netflix don't seem to affect it.

Solutions Tried:
Changed the WAN ethernet cable between the modem and router
My ISP has "recoded" the modem to work with third party routers.
I have updated the firmware on my router
I factory reset my router
Tried a second router

Let me know what you guys think could be the problem. I am planning on switching the modem for a new modem tonight, but I don't have high hope.

Solution
You say nothing on the modem indicates a problem, but I think the modem, or your connection to your ISP, is where the problem is. Especially because you say restarting the modem is the only fix. Some modems are purely a bridge, while some have a web interface for setting options.

1. Can you log into your modem? If so, I would check for logs or some kind of status.
  2. If you can't log into your modem, have you ever called your ISP while it's out ... can they see the status of the modem?
  3. This might all be mute, since your planning to replace the modem tonight ... let us know if that resolves the problem.
You say nothing on the modem indicates a problem, but I think the modem, or your connection to your ISP, is where the problem is. Especially because you say restarting the modem is the only fix. Some modems are purely a bridge, while some have a web interface for setting options.

1. Can you log into your modem? If so, I would check for logs or some kind of status.
  2. If you can't log into your modem, have you ever called your ISP while it's out ... can they see the status of the modem?
  3. This might all be mute, since your planning to replace the modem tonight ... let us know if that resolves the problem.

Solution

brandonbelrod

Commendable
Aug 17, 2017

I'll definitely update you all know tonight. I have talked to them while it was out. Everything looks good on their end. No error codes are coming from the modem and they claim that it shows data moving to the router. I have yet to login to my modem, or even look into logging in, but it is something that crossed my mind.

brandonbelrod

Commendable
Aug 17, 2017
So I did nail it down to the problem only occurring when Netflix was opened on the Xbox specifically. I opened Netflix on the PlayStation that is also wired and it did not crash. It crashed consistently every time with the Xbox.
With that said the problem seems to be fixed with the new modem.